Coral Vue Hydros

too many fishes???

brusinn

Sorry, you are in Nano world , and 1 in a 30 or larger tank is too much, so when you say 2 in a 45, you are going to get flamed.

Do some research.

B)

shouldnt keep green chromis in pairs, they'll get aggresive, do 4 or more, preferably more. a 45g tank isnt really big enough for one full grown tang, 8"-10", let alone two, dwarf angel's the better choice, make sure they're reef safe tho,

You should buy your Chromis in odd numbers. However, they are far from aggressive in my experience. A big no on the Tangs.

Here's a simple equation for stocking/bioload in your tank:

Divide # gallons in your tank by 2. Now that's how many inches of adult sized fish you can have in your tank.

Brusinn, in your case you can have up to 22.5 inches of adult fish in your tank. You can do all of those fish on your list except for the tangs.

duke - that is actually a really bad way to figure out how many fish you can have. waste production increases exponentially with fish mass, not length. it is a proven fact that two skinny 3" gobies will produce far less waste than one 6" fat maroon clown. think about their comparative overall sizes. but i do agree with the last part, no tangs!

cadesun, it's a very 'simple' calculation. I may have mislabeled it by calling it stock/bioload, should be just stock.

BTW, I'm also from Iowa and I used to attend UNI.

yes, bioload increases exponentially with fish mass. i was just trying to say that he should take that into consideration when using any sort of calculation. fat fish produce more waste than skinny fish.

i am also a uni alum, do you still live in iowa?

Unfortunately I do still live in IA. I work for the Waterloo School District. And you?

I don't see myself moving out of the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, I have twins on the way and the wife doesn't want to move too far from family.

yeah, boo iowa. i'm actually still working on my masters at UNI, so i'll be here for another couple years, but then i'm outta here. what lfs do you go to?

Originally posted by cadesun

yeah, boo iowa.  i'm actually still working on my masters at UNI, so i'll be here for another couple years, but then i'm outta here.  what lfs do you go to?

I only 'look' at Emporium Pets. I usually buy my fish from Fish Focus. The lady that runs it used to have her store in Elk Run but she had to close up shop due to a slum landlord. She now runs her store right out of her own basement. She lives right by Central Middle School, she doesn't have a sign on her house however. I can give you her info if you need it. Her prices are higher than most but the quality of her fish is unmatched.

yeah, i used to go to her, but had one too many bad experiences, so i'm in the market for a new store. i usually go see hung lamb at sea of marvels in coralville, he's pretty good. he'll also give me good deals, something i could never say about fish focus. she did have nice, healthy stuff though. that's more than can be said for emporium and pet-co. i hear there is a petsmart going up in between best buy and hy-vee in waterloo... should be interesting how many fish will meet their demise there.

Really? I never knew that. The one near me only carries marine supplies. I heard other people saying that petsmart didn't carry marine fish so i assumed it was a company wide thing. my bad.

Originally posted by cadesun

yeah, i used to go to her, but had one too many bad experiences, so i'm in the market for a new store.  i usually go see hung lamb at sea of marvels in coralville, he's pretty good.  he'll also give me good deals, something i could never say about fish focus.  she did have nice, healthy stuff though.  that's more than can be said for emporium and pet-co.  i hear there is a petsmart going up in between best buy and hy-vee in waterloo... should be interesting how many fish will meet their demise there.

What kind of bad experiences? From what I've seen, she can be forward if you know what I mean. She'll tell you right to your face that you're doing something wrong, maybe she's a little over-passionate of this hobby. I've gotten along fine with her however. I've never been to the store in Coralville, I will have to check it out sometime. I'm not too excited about the new Petsmart opening up. If they hire idiots like Petco does, it'll be no different than every other sh*tty store that shouldn't be allowed to sell SWF. Plus, they can hire all the experts they want, the bottom line is if the fish quality is good. Everything Petco sells is diseased.

you said it about petco. it's sad. i'm thinking petsmart will be the same way, but i have heard that some are actually pretty good, depending on the disributor they buy from, and who they hire to take care of their fish. as far as fish focus goes, i bough a 40 breeder a while ago from her, and she charged me 10 bucks more than she originally told me. my sister also went in to buy a whole setup when she moved her store, and she tried to charge her $50 extra, even when we told her the price that was originally quoted. kinda sleazy, but i just figured she forgot, and i knew she was in a tight spot. then, she had a whitespotted tamarin wrasse... i asked her about it, and she said it was extremely easy to care for. unfortunately, i took her word for it, and bought it. turns out they are one of the hardest fish to care for, and almost no one can keep them alive for over a few months in captivity. i'm still struggling to keep it alive at the moment. then the last straw... i set up a nano in my office at UNI, and was looking for a fish. she sold me a black capped basslet for $50. little pricey, but i didn't care. i told her my tank wasn't covered, and she said that it was a deep water species and wouldn't jump out. 2 days later, it did just that. i went in to talk to her about it, and she just said, that sucks, but any fish can jump, i've even had lionfish jump. i was pissed. i felt that would have been helpful information to have BEFORE i bought the fish. it just seemed like she was trying to make a buck, not a responsible sale to a loyal customer.

Well I can't say that I've had a bad experience with her. It seems as though she expects people to do their homework before inquiring about something. I do have to agree though, her prices are never consistent.

I bought my prized possession from her, my Potter's Leopard Wrasse. Everywhere I've read and from what a lot of people say, it's a very hard species to keep. However, I haven't had a problem with him, in fact he's one of the easiest fish to keep. Absolutely beautiful fish, I just wish he would't keep business hours.

sweet wrasse! i have heard that they are difficult as well, but that's great yours isn't! i know what you mean about fish focus expecting you to do your homework, and i usually do, but i had never even heard of my white-spotted wrasse before i saw it in the store. she didn't even have it labeled as the right fish at the time though. she also had a beautiflul divided wrasse which she tried to sell to me as an immature leopard wrasse. oh well, i guess everyone makes mistakes... i'll probably start going there again at some point, i do miss her awesome fish.

what do you feed your leopard wrasse?

Archived