SaltCritters.com

quarantine questions

Gill11

HI,
I am starting up a 40g AIO tank, and for that I am starting up a coral QT tank in a 10g tank I had lying around in the garage from my freshwater days. Also have a 14 g tank and I was going to use that as a fish QT tank. I was going to use florida live rock for my DT.
I have a few questions about this .

1. Is it okay to quarantine all the live rock I get in the DT for 75-80 days so that any tomonts anywhere in it etc are all dead or should I assume that if all the live rock is fresh harvested from the companies ocean farm (not their tanks) that it wont have any signifcant marine ich/velvet etc
2. During this time what do I do to ensure that the bacteria and the coralline algae etc on the live rock stay alive and dont die off or bleach off without there being fish to produce waste to keep sustaining them
3. I will buy my initial coral selection and place in an already cycled coral quarantine tank for 75-80 days as well to kill anything on them and will then transfer to DT on day 80
4. First phase of 1-2 fish will be placed in the fish quarantine tank on day 35 and then kept in copper for 45 days and dosed with all the meds etc before being transferred to DT

This is my general plan but would appreciate more suggestions and more places I can get more info etc

thanks

Gill

The live rock will be full of life...all which produce waste. Fish are not needed to maintain life or a reef. Worms...pods...algae...snails and so on are sufficient and there will likely be die off from shipping and algae to eat and so on.

The main thing the rock will need is proper light and flow. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The live rock will be full of life...all which produce waste. Fish are not needed to maintain life or a reef. Worms...pods...algae...snails and so on are sufficient and there will likely be die off from shipping and algae to eat and so on.

The main thing the rock will need is proper light and flow. 

Got it and you think doing that live rock quarantine in the display tank is ok right ?

9 hours ago, Gill11 said:

Got it and you think doing that live rock quarantine in the display tank is ok right ?

If your goal is just to fallow put fish disease then it is fine but will need to go 76 days without fish or 6 weeks minimum...but 6 weeks might not get every strain of ich.

If you want to easily remove pests like crabs or mantis shrimps or such it is easier in a plastic tub but lighting is a little more difficult.

If you plan to soft cycle the rock then using the least amount of water and doing 100 percent water changes daily is what I did to preserve life until ammonia stabalizes. My rock was shipped which caused some life to die and ammonia was reading 5-8ppm for the first week or two.

• Like 1