Jump to content
cheesesteak

Cheesesteak's 4G Pico

Recommended Posts

Break

I perform a 0.75 gallon weekly water change on my 4.1g. Considering displacement and the water volume, this is probably close to a 25-30% change or more.

 

Used to do a 1 gallon change, but have to limit it now so some corals aren't exposed to the air while I do the change.

 

Cute tank inspector!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

An update: 

 

All of my Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite tests keep coming up 0 so I'm probably going to stop frequent testing for those parameters. I'll stay on top of nitrates as I add frags. 

 

The bryopsis isn't spreading too much. I think these turbos are really doing a good job with keeping up. It's really clear whenever they make a run through the sand that they're the ones doing the bulk of the work. I can't decide if the hermits are helping, I think they do most of their work at night so its hard to say what they eat. I've ordered some Reef Flux, but shipping has been slow so no treatment yet. 

 

I'm not sure I'm still into the flame macro. The bunch under the wavemaker seems to be fading a bit and the bunch in the light is full of a fuzzy red hair algae. That means the CUC is spending their time cleaning that, and then the flame macro is collecting all of the poop like filter floss. It's kind of unsightly. I might remove it, but I'll give it a little bit before I do. 

 

The frags I added seem to be doing well. I've fed twice and everything seems to be responding. I'm still trying to decide on the final placement before I putty/glue them down. The skirt on the greenish zoas (or palys? how can you tell the difference?) in the back of this picture seems to have really grown since I added them. I'm not sure what that means. (Also, RIP that Cerith on the sand bed. It hasn't moved in over a week.) 

 

IMG_0242.thumb.jpeg.6b5f9bec4cef7080d2ae34caa3c181a5.jpeg

 

FTS

 

IMG_0241.thumb.jpeg.7dde2e5f46e8595b20803ecfa88b5daf.jpeg

 

I just hit a huge milestone at work and I'm finishing up my first year of grad school, so I might get something fancy as a treat. I'm a little upset that the zoa colonies I had my eye on at Unique Corals got snatched up but I'm sure I'll find something. 

 

IMG_0234.thumb.jpeg.552f3902325d5cd815ba8a4aca572e4e.jpeg

 

Cheers! 😁🍻

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Word of caution: I discovered another branching hydroid jelly in the flame algae when I went to remove some of the bits that had died off. When I went to pull on the "structure" the little jellies all evacuated like the Enterprise was going down. So, now I have about 15-20 little jellies all fluttering around the tank and sticking to the glass. I managed to squish a few but gave up after a while. Guess I'll keep an eye on those  🤷🏼‍♂️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Quick pics and update. 

  • Glued/epoxied the frags I picked up to the rock. Now I get to watch things fill in! I'm still not sure what direction I want to take the tank. I do want to dabble in some easier SPS like birdsnests and Monti caps to see what this light can do, and I think that would violate the Caribbean theme. I'm also partial to clown gobies because they've got a lot of character. We'll see. 
  • I removed about half of the flame macro that was getting shaded under the wavemaker and then relocated some other bits to see how it responds to the light. There is still some pretty dense hair algae in the branches of the flame macro itself, so I'm watching to see which one wins out. 
  • I've begun twice weekly feedings of Reef Roids and Brightwell CoralAminos. Everything seems to be enjoying it so far. 
  • I've also stuck with twice a week water changes of about 6 cups/.38 gallons/15% of total water volume to keep oil slick at bay. 
  • The Reef FluxRx came in but I haven't dosed any yet. The Bryopsis seems to be slowly receding, or at least not getting any thicker, and the CUC seems to be keeping up with it. I figure the less I have to shock the system the better, so I'll wait to see if it gets any worse.
  • Edit: Actually, look back at last weeks photos, the Bryopsis seems to have receded a good amount. At this point its mostly diatoms on the sand bed. 

 

Top shot 

IMG_0296.thumb.jpeg.10c25d0aded8576760d6a546337160f5.jpeg

 

FTS

IMG_0293.thumb.jpeg.3a89b0da40764bbd5fcec489d1742050.jpeg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Also, here is the lighting schedule I'm running. The zoas and palys seem to like it so far. Still have some power left to go if I wanted to increase it some. 

 

IMG_0298.thumb.png.803f62e836511df360120f912d1123e8.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Break

Glad to see the Bryopsis seems to be receding!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
23 hours ago, Break said:

Glad to see the Bryopsis seems to be receding!

Yeah its kind of crazy that it seemed to resolve itself for the most part. I have a feeling adding the flame macro and zoas/palys helped consume nutrients the bryopsis otherwise would have. Also, these astrea snails are super effective little lawnmowers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...