Cultivated Reef

Cheesesteak's 4G Pico

cheesesteak

21 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

It was such a letdown when I added that thing. I was like ugh, this is why people buy AIOs 😂

If you ever really want to eliminate the heater from the display, you could always switch over to a canister filter and inline heater setup with an approach like this.

cheesesteak
28 minutes ago, Break said:

If you ever really want to eliminate the heater from the display, you could always switch over to a canister filter and inline heater setup with an approach like this.

Its funny you should mention that, I was totally going to go the canister filter route with lily pipes but decided against it. I kept reading that everyone that had one had to flush it weekly because of detritus buildup. I'm still considering it, but not sure what my appetite for maintenance will be once I'm back in an office during the week. 

Here is a great journal you might be interested in. Super clean build with a canister filter. I found it while searching up gorgonians the other day. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

Anyone know what this yellow thing is? Its not attached to anything and I thought it was a piece of straw until I noticed it had what looked a feather duster head on it. 

Edit: I think each of the little nodules also has a feather duster type head on it? But only the one on the end is opened up fully. 

IMG_0175.thumb.jpeg.ac449a7607a66772f41fc9bf640e9a06.jpeg

That looks like some sort of hydroid

cheesesteak
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

That looks like some sort of hydroid

I think you're right! I found an image of one that looks very similar. I've never seen a branching hydroid before. 

image.png.d6cc79fb51309d2cea49e53107887cd4.png

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

I think you're right! I found an image of one that looks very similar. I've never seen a branching hydroid before. 

image.png.d6cc79fb51309d2cea49e53107887cd4.png

Honestly me neither but the polyp is unmistakable 😂😂

cheesesteak

The pico survived relocation to a new, sturdier, stand with more book capacity today. 

IMG_0179.thumb.jpeg.cb527e0398e21fdec050a41c83293c91.jpeg

Also, getting some strong Jawa sandcrawler vibes from this guy (actual speed).  

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 7/18/2020 at 2:34 PM, cheesesteak said:

Its funny you should mention that, I was totally going to go the canister filter route with lily pipes but decided against it. I kept reading that everyone that had one had to flush it weekly because of detritus buildup. I'm still considering it, but not sure what my appetite for maintenance will be once I'm back in an office during the week. 

Here is a great journal you might be interested in. Super clean build with a canister filter. I found it while searching up gorgonians the other day. 

Funny you mention that tank - it's one of my all time favorite tanks on NR and big part of the inspiration for my desktop pico. HOB (and now an AIO) was just a better fit for my desk/space than a canister filter. Would be different story if the tank was in the kitchen. And yes, lily pipes can be a big pain to clean, but I'm sure there's a canister filter with a decent pre-filter out there that can handle a bit of detritus.

Regardless, the tank is looking great so far!

• Like 1
cheesesteak

Nitrate, Nitrite, and Phosphate all showing 0.0 ppm as far I can see. Ammonia is showing just over 0.0 ppm with an API test. Had an ammonia spike up to 0.5 ppm after leaving more shrimp in there overnight than I should have. Luckily, it was right before I moved the tank onto the new cabinet so I managed it with a 50% water change. 

Also, definitely starting to see some GHA and diatoms pop up since the weekend. Looks like the CUC arrived just in time! 

Here is what I have for CUC so far: 

• 2 astrea
  • 3 dwarf cerith (definitely should have ordered more) 
  • 2 nassarius 
  • 1 blue leg hermit 
  • 1 unidentified and very shy hermit
  • Like 1
cheesesteak

Ah heck, I think the algae may be Bryopsis instead of GHA. It's got those ferny ends to it. I'll keep an eye on it to see if the CUC can keep up with it. I don't want to go the route of dosing just yet. Anything I can do in the meantime to slow the growth? I don't want to kill the light because I'm getting great coralline growth and I just added the flame algae. 

• Sad 1

You could try getting some Florida ceriths from Reef Cleaners, you will probably need a few anyhow. I've heard some folks have had luck with emerald crabs.

Your other option is use some hydrogen peroxide to kill it off. Here's a R2R thread discussing usage. Since you're able to take the rock out of the tank it shouldn't be too hard.

cheesesteak

The rock is actually in decent shape (thank you astreas?), it's the sand that's got the most. I might try and pick up an emerald crab this weekend. I've been told the tank needs more movement anyway. 😄

cheesesteak

IMG_0185.thumb.jpeg.c38ddf263e216844c1de0224eb170deb.jpeg

So... Bryopsis right? It definitely has fern like ends, which leads me to think yes, but its not that long yet so I'm not 100%. I'd like to head it off before it gets too out of hand. I've been reading up on different treatments and the jury appears to still be out on what creatures will eat it (aside from tangs, which, pico...) and which chemical treatments will cure it without adverse side effects. I think I've landed on doing an elevated magnesium treatment so that there is, ideally, no damage to the coralline or the flame algae. The majority of it is on the sand, so taking the rock out and scrubbing it won't really get to the root of my issue. I've ordered some Kent Tech M (apparently this works best over Brightwell?) and magnesium and alkalinity tests. I'll get the mag levels up past 1500/1600 and let it sit there for a few weeks. 

cheesesteak

Got a nice green lawn coming in. 😎 

IMG_0187.thumb.jpeg.763d91d111cf3dd7c40630c5a7244266.jpeg

Also moved the wavemaker up closer to the surface, I was starting to get some nasty surface film. 

• Haha 1
cheesesteak
8 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Also moved the wavemaker up closer to the surface, I was starting to get some nasty surface film. 

Also, not 5 minutes after I posed this, the big astrea snail mowed through about half of this. Maybe I should get more astreas? 

• Wow 2
1 hour ago, cheesesteak said:

Ive been getting some nasty film too 😕

cheesesteak

So apparently, about a year or so ago, Kent changed up the recipe on their Tech M, and, according to the coral store guy, whatever was in it that killed Bryopsis is no longer in it. He recommended a fluconazole treatment, which is also a common treatment I've seen around all of the forums. SO I'll be doing that instead. I was hoping to avoid the medication route, but it looks like that's what I'll be doing. 

(side note: if you have any spare Fluconazole/ReefHD Reef Flux/Blue Vet Flux Rx, hmu. I'd like to keep as little medication like this in the drains as possible.)

I tried floco and it worked it was a long process but worked. Tech M like you said no longer has the bryopsis killing ingredients unfortunately. 

I do have I think 2 or 3 pills left of fluco but its so old.. 

• Like 1
cheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I tried floco and it worked it was a long process but worked. Tech M like you said no longer has the bryopsis killing ingredients unfortunately. 

I do have I think 2 or 3 pills left of fluco but its so old.. 

I think I've been reading about 10 days or so for real results. What was your experience? And any idea on the expiration date? 

I fought it with fluco for about 2-3 weeks. It eventually got to point where I broke down the tank because I was tired fighting it. I used peroxide numerous times as well,it helped but was never a HUGE factor in the battle. 

Honestly I have no idea,but I probably wouldn't use it lol. 

• Sad 1
cheesesteak

Picked up a few zoa/paly frags at the coral store yesterday and they seem to have settled in nicely. The brown ones in the foreground definitely looked much more red under the shop actinics. Hopefully they color up!  

IMG_0193.thumb.jpeg.7941fd311b3ee8384197b3ec7d8fce13.jpeg

• Like 1
cheesesteak

How often do you all do water changes and for how much on your pico? I'm learning that if I let it go the whole week, a surface slick begins to build up and the water gets a little cloudy. I was thinking maybe 6 cup (about ~12%) water changes every Sunday and Thursday to keep things fresh. I'll probably plan to feed on Fridays or Saturdays to start with and maybe bump it up to twice a week. 

Also, meet our new tank inspector. Thus far, no comment. Please be nice about the hand me down leopard print hammock. 

IMG_0221.thumb.jpeg.9b069c999db381fa947fa99075ef2710.jpeg

• Like 2