Jump to content
cheesesteak

Cheesesteak's 4G Pico

Recommended Posts

cheesesteak

I moved it to the right side and up an inch or so and there is definitely better circulation at the top, and it fills in some empty space. 

 

Now we wait 😬 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

I like this side view, especially when the morning light comes in. Excuse the messy temporary WFH space 😬

 

IMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.d4ab3d25993195c83ed48f325fac571e.jpeg

 

Ordered a few things to prep for stocking:

  • 50W Finnex Titanium Heater
  • Polyplab Reef-roids
  • Brightwell CoralAmino
  • Feeder pipette 
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Ordered a pico-sized CUC and some pods because why not 🤷🏼‍♂️

 

1724648449_ScreenShot2020-07-12at6_27_41PM.png.55eaaf22245a80928aef4cf23d342777.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Break
On 7/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, cheesesteak said:

Ordered a pico-sized CUC and some pods because why not 🤷🏼‍♂️

 

1724648449_ScreenShot2020-07-12at6_27_41PM.png.55eaaf22245a80928aef4cf23d342777.png

Isn't Reef Cleaners just the best? Only place I can find Dwarf Planaxis - I love those little guys!

 

By the way, if you're still aiming for a Florida bio-type, John is a great source as he can get a bunch more stuff that isn't always regularly listed on the site.

 

Love how clean the set-up is looking!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
11 hours ago, Break said:

Isn't Reef Cleaners just the best? Only place I can find Dwarf Planaxis - I love those little guys!

 

By the way, if you're still aiming for a Florida bio-type, John is a great source as he can get a bunch more stuff that isn't always regularly listed on the site.

 

Love how clean the set-up is looking!

 

Love Reef Cleaners! John immediately followed up with a personalized email even with my small order. I can't remember, but I think I ordered my first batch of LR from them back when I lived in FL. It was teeming with life. That list of other stuff is wild. Too bad he doesn't ship fish. 


And thanks. I'm still unsure on what I want to stock. I like the idea of the ready to go "colonies" of Gulf/Caribbean Zoas from KP aquatics, but I'm also intrigued by some of the more colorful varieties. We'll see! 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Melfy77
11 hours ago, Break said:

Isn't Reef Cleaners just the best? Only place I can find Dwarf Planaxis - I love those little guys!

 

By the way, if you're still aiming for a Florida bio-type, John is a great source as he can get a bunch more stuff that isn't always regularly listed on the site.

 

Love how clean the set-up is looking!

Sooo cheap!!! Here 1 tronchu snail is like 6$ :( I ordered 7 snails and it cost me like 40$

On 7/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, cheesesteak said:

Ordered a pico-sized CUC and some pods because why not 🤷🏼‍♂️

 

1724648449_ScreenShot2020-07-12at6_27_41PM.png.55eaaf22245a80928aef4cf23d342777.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
8 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Sooo cheap!!! Here 1 tronchu snail is like 6$ 😞 I ordered 7 snails and it cost me like 40$

Yeah the LFS I got my rock from had Ceriths and Nassarius listed at $3 per (and they were sold out). I think the pandemic has really pushed up prices. 

 

Picked up an API test kit and ran some tests:

  • Nitrate - 0.0
  • Nitrite - 0.0
  • Ammonia - 0.0-0.25?

I couldn't really tell the exact color of the ammonia test (photo below) but it definitely appears like there is some green. I threw a sliver of salmon in there a few days ago to keep the live rock going, so if nitrates or nitrites aren't registering but the ammonia is, that makes me concerned. 

 

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.5bbc0d3bb8e965b980182f864c191cb4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Melfy77
5 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Yeah the LFS I got my rock from had Ceriths and Nassarius listed at $3 per (and they were sold out). I think the pandemic has really pushed up prices. 

 

Picked up an API test kit and ran some tests:

  • Nitrate - 0.0
  • Nitrite - 0.0
  • Ammonia - 0.0-0.25?

I couldn't really tell the exact color of the ammonia test (photo below) but it definitely appears like there is some green. I threw a sliver of salmon in there a few days ago to keep the live rock going, so if nitrates or nitrites aren't registering but the ammonia is, that makes me concerned. 

 

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.5bbc0d3bb8e965b980182f864c191cb4.jpeg

For some weird reason it appears the API test will show ammonia even if there's none (it happened to me and many other other reefers) You could get a salifert test to make sure but chances are you've for no ammonia in your tank 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

For some weird reason it appears the API test will show ammonia even if there's none (it happened to me and many other other reefers) You could get a salifert test to make sure but chances are you've for no ammonia in your tank 🙂

😑  Yeah the color scale is odd. It goes from light yellow (0.0), to yellow green (0.25), to light green (0.5) which is lighter in color than yellow green, but shows no yellow. I think I will order some additional tests. I used to use API back in the day and defaulted to it, and it was the only one I could find. 

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

I have used API when cycling and think it is good enough. Although some say it never shows zero. In my experience I have not found that to be true. Newly mixed salt water shows zero. Some other members have compared it to other test kits and it usually is pretty close. I think for cycling you don't need to know the exact numbers. You need to know there is ammonia or there is none. There is nitrite or none. Some do their first water change when nitrites hit 5, some wait till nitrates hit 10. I think since this tank has only been cycling for a week. You should relax, test every day, tell us what you get for results and go from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Yeah, my concern was with registering ammonia and no nitrates/nitrites after a few days of having an ammonia source in there since it is true live rock. Any value on nitrate/nitrites would make me happy! I tested ammonia again and it looks like its still retaining just a *hint* of green compared to a fresh saltwater test. I'll keep testing and reporting back. 

 

Left - fresh saltwater, Right - tank saltwater

 

IMG_0156.thumb.jpeg.e3ece5c129f250ee5c9fc18c70b71514.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Here is the current lighting schedule I'm running for the Fluval Nano. I'll probably start here when I add corals and ramp it up over time. Everything is at 40% but the reds, which are at 25%. I have the option to run 10 different points throughout the day in pro mode, but that seems excessive for just growing algae. So far I'm pretty happy with the functionality of the light. We'll see what it can grow soon! 

 

IMG_7692134EFA9C-1.thumb.jpeg.f18b62c5fdec4fafab93db283a09af2c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
RedTheReefer

Is it possible to raise that light at all? I think you should raise it few more inches for better light spread. It looks like to me there is a hot spot in the middle from one of your pictures. Just my .02.

 

Great looking tank so far. I love the look of a single rock in a pico!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
10 hours ago, RedTheReefer said:

Is it possible to raise that light at all? I think you should raise it few more inches for better light spread. It looks like to me there is a hot spot in the middle from one of your pictures. Just my .02.

 

Great looking tank so far. I love the look of a single rock in a pico!

Thanks! I was lucky to find a pretty good looking rock at the LFS that fit the tank. Creating a decent scape is challenging in a pico cube. I wanted to get some decent height and probably couldn't do that with a pair of smaller rocks. 

 

I definitely do need to play around with the light a bit. I was worried about the 120* optics throwing light all over the room, but its not as bad as what I was expecting. I also want to rent a PAR meter so I can gather some data I haven't seen anywhere else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Tested again and everything appears to be holding steady at zero-ish, even after adding more ammonia source. Also, here is an article comparing the major companies ammonia test kits. And an interesting note, "The industry standard for printing, packaging and graphic arts is viewing under 5,000K lighting. This lighting standard provides the “truest” color rendition when comparing subtle color differences." which makes sense because I had much less hard of a time discerning the yellow tint when testing at night in a room with a lamp when compared to testing in bright daylight. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

The Reef Cleaners order came in. Everything arrived in great condition, despite the heat, and got to work immediately after acclimating. I think I owe RC more money based on the quality of their shipping materials. I'm not quite sure where the place the flame macro. Right now, its just chilling under the rock held together by a bobby pin. 

 

Also, I've been told the reef needs some green to balance out the red flame. I should have probably ordered caulerpa too. 

 

IMG_0164.thumb.jpeg.f4e58ef07636c175b94bd498cc202c58.jpeg 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Quick FTS. I honestly don't hate where the flame algae is, but it's a bit distracting. I'm thinking maybe in front of the heater?

 

IMG_0168.thumb.jpeg.e70f9b637fcec222d33322f51669edca.jpeg

 

I love that one astrea has realized theres some good eatin' on the wavemaker. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Break

Yeah, I think the flame algae would work better visually in the back right. Added bonus of it hiding the heater a bit!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Break said:

Yeah, I think the flame algae would work better visually in the back right. Added bonus of it hiding the heater a bit!

It was such a letdown when I added that thing. I was like ugh, this is why people buy AIOs 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheRope
37 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

It was such a letdown when I added that thing. I was like ugh, this is why people buy AIOs 😂

Can always switch it to the left side and cut up the algae to place behind the rock infromt of the heater to hide it 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

I ended up putting it in front of the heater. It's a bit shaded, but I've read it does well in low light as well, so hopefully it manages. Will snap a pic tomorrow as we're halfway through sunset in the blue lagoon at this point. I'm thinking a taller caulerpa on the left side would balance the red nicely. Maybe this will be more of a Caribbean biotope after all. With all of these macros, I'll probably have to dose for nutrients. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rehype

Tank looks awesome cheesesteak.  Great job so far.  Whats your plans for coral?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheRope
3 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

I ended up putting it in front of the heater. It's a bit shaded, but I've read it does well in low light as well, so hopefully it manages. Will snap a pic tomorrow as we're halfway through sunset in the blue lagoon at this point. I'm thinking a taller caulerpa on the left side would balance the red nicely. Maybe this will be more of a Caribbean biotope after all. With all of these macros, I'll probably have to dose for nutrients. 

The macros are just as incredible lookong, this tank will be fantastic 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak
10 hours ago, Rehype said:

Tank looks awesome cheesesteak.  Great job so far.  Whats your plans for coral?

Thanks! Still thinking mostly zoas, palys and ricordea if I stick with the Caribbean theme. Also some gorgonians. 

 

7 hours ago, TheRope said:

The macros are just as incredible lookong, this tank will be fantastic 

Thanks! I was originally going to set this tank up as freshwater planted, but ultimately decided on a reef, so this is satisfying both cravings 😄

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
cheesesteak

Anyone know what this yellow thing is? Its not attached to anything and I thought it was a piece of straw until I noticed it had what looked a feather duster head on it. 

 

Edit: I think each of the little nodules also has a feather duster type head on it? But only the one on the end is opened up fully. 

 

IMG_0175.thumb.jpeg.ac449a7607a66772f41fc9bf640e9a06.jpeg

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...