Pod Your Reef

Cheesesteak's 4G Pico

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Yeah I'm thinking I'll want to keep the bed to like a 3/4" max. I'm also wondering if I should get a larger grain sand so it doesn't blow around? I've never had a tank without sand, so I'm not sure how I would feel about sand-less. I've seen some good examples on here though. 

cheesesteak

Light should be here Monday-ish. Jebao Wavemaker should be here Wednesday-ish. Also ordered a spare powerhead for mixing, refractometer, and some Reef Dip. I should be ready for rock and sand sometime next week! 😛

• Like 1
cheesesteak

Jebao Wavemaker came in. It's definitely not as cute as the Hygger, it's about twice the size, and it doesn't appear to have as much sound/vibration dampening rubber, but it should be more suitable for a 4G. 

IMG_0108.thumb.jpeg.3261cb96329458089c592954765f91df.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Jebao Wavemaker came in. It's definitely not as cute as the Hygger, it's about twice the size, and it doesn't appear to have as much sound/vibration dampening rubber, but it should be more suitable for a 4G. 

IMG_0108.thumb.jpeg.3261cb96329458089c592954765f91df.jpeg

What’s the stocking idea for the tank again, I can’t wait to see this build come together

cheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Frozen_Reef said:

What’s the stocking idea for the tank again, I can’t wait to see this build come together

For corals, definitely mostly Zoas and Palys. I might dabble in hardier SPS too. I've also gotten more interested and Gorgonians and Macros as I browse journals. Hopefully I can strike a good balance!   

For things that move, probably some sexy shrimp and a YCG or neon goby. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

For corals, definitely mostly Zoas and Palys. I might dabble in hardier SPS too. I've also gotten more interested and Gorgonians and Macros as I browse journals. Hopefully I can strike a good balance!   

For things that move, probably some sexy shrimp and a YCG or neon goby. 

Niceee, I think I’m going macros and maybe zoas in the 12G cube

• Like 1
cheesesteak

Nice! I'm *almost* tempted to do something like a Caribbean biotope with zoas, mushrooms, rics, gorgonians and macros. I grew up in Florida and spent time snorkeling reefs in the Keys, so I miss that. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Nice! I'm *almost* tempted to do something like a Caribbean biotope with zoas, mushrooms, rics, gorgonians and macros. I grew up in Florida and spent time snorkeling reefs in the Keys, so I miss that. 

I really like that idea - biotopes are awesome!

Also, I personally find SPS to be a headache in super tiny tanks given how easily things swing. That being said there are some superb reefers on here who manage it without much issue.

14 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Do ittt

• Like 1
cheesesteak
39 minutes ago, Break said:

I really like that idea - biotopes are awesome!

Also, I personally find SPS to be a headache in super tiny tanks given how easily things swing. That being said there are some superb reefers on here who manage it without much issue.

42 minutes ago, Frozen_Reef said:

Do ittt

Yeah, I was browsing the KP aquatics website and looking at their basic zoas and st. Thomas mushrooms and got the idea. We'll see!

This should be easy to recreate right 😝

image.png.e7dd64eac469bfc9e95bc043faeace12.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
cheesesteak

Its starting to look like a real little tank! I think the Fluval light fits the size of this cube perfectly and the controller app is pretty decent. We'll see if it can produce results! 

IMG_0113.thumb.jpeg.4b9d231d7d36034d7b499698f3c835bd.jpeg

• Like 3
cheesesteak
32 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I wonder how much of a problem you will have keeping water in the tank with that pump lol. 

Thats a great question. I haven't even put it in water yet lol. I saw some in tanks as small as 3 gallons on the lowest setting, so it should work! 

• Like 2
cheesesteak

Here is the pump on the lowest setting mixing saltwater... It seems... slightly fast? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry for the terrible gif quality. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Here is the pump on the lowest setting mixing saltwater... It seems... slightly fast? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry for the terrible gif quality. 

spacer.png

Well youll be able to keep some high flow coral! Maybe placing it more towards the top to get more surface movement would be better? Itll reduce the amount of flow on the bottom where your corals will be 😮

• Like 4
cheesesteak

I actually found a pretty gentle setting - W2 (wave 2?) at its lowest speed and lowest power on the pump dial. It's the "sine" wave function. I could maybe even up it to 2 or 3 (theres 8 speeds total) once I have rock. Hopefully this works and it doesn't come down to the ol' AC110 mod method and trimming the impeller. ✂️

spacer.png

Controller setting (the dial is turned to its slowest "pump"): 

IMG_0118.thumb.jpeg.bc6c1bc95f25e472304921948ffc9143.jpeg

• Like 2

Hmmm,that actually is pretty timid honestly. I figured it would be way too much. I have a 10" cube and I am trying to figure out if I want a wave maker. 

I am sumping mine and plan on running a oversized return pump in hopes of not needing one. 

• Like 1
cheesesteak
3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hmmm,that actually is pretty timid honestly. I figured it would be way too much. I have a 10" cube and I am trying to figure out if I want a wave maker. 

I am sumping mine and plan on running a oversized return pump in hopes of not needing one. 

Yeah its not too bad. I'll post more gifs with the sand and rock in when I get around to adding those. You could be fine with just a good return pump though. It's a real challenge finding a decent pump that isn't distractingly large/shaped for picos and with low enough flow and isn't meant to be hidden in a sump/back chamber. 

I’m a big fan of this size build. Will be following along. 

I had the same experience with the hygger in a 3g tank. Saw your later post where you switched to the jaebo. Following along for updates on its performance on such a small tank. 

• Like 1
cheesesteak

Added some rock and sand. 😁

IMG_0131.thumb.jpeg.9621ffc8007de52f96f2e6c567633182.jpeg

23 hours ago, Scotty08 said:

I had the same experience with the hygger in a 3g tank. Saw your later post where you switched to the jaebo. Following along for updates on its performance on such a small tank. 

The Jebao is awesome so far. The lowest W2 setting is just fine for this size tank. The sand in the most direct flow stays put.  

• Like 3
cheesesteak

Some perspective on the tank size. 

IMG_0136.thumb.jpeg.09ebdca884475ca728e766ba7138bf05.jpeg

And another gif to gauge the flow. I'm pretty happy with the Jebao. I think I might move it to the top right of the tank whenever I feel like getting my hands wet. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

That looks dope! I saw move it up just a tad, that way you get cross currents and you can use that whole rock slope to put more frags and stuff.

• Like 1