Top Shelf Aquatics

How long can I keep Damsel trapped?

ps2cho

So my yellow damsel has been on a killing mission against my Tang in the tank...sorry Tang is #1.

I trapped him 2 days ago in a fish trap, its about 10x8 inside the tank. Unfortunately the quarantine tank I set up is still cycling and Ammonia & nitrites have not dropped yet...

I grabbed him before he killed the Tang so I dont want to release him.

Is he good in there until the 10g quarantine tank I set up is cycled you think? He's still getting fed of course...he just doesn't have much to swim in being its only 10x8 and he's a 3.5" fish.

Well unless you have a 2nd tank, you might as well return him. He will probably be fine for a long time otherwise but not a great life. 

Tangs can be little assholes too. 

5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well unless you have a 2nd tank, you might as well return him. He will probably be fine for a long time otherwise but not a great life. 

Tangs can be little assholes too. 

Its definitely the damsel, my royal gramma has not swam in the open for years like he suddenly is now. There is no returning him, I've had him for 4-years.

Damsel was "fine" up until a few months ago when I see wounds all over the tang, bitten off fins etc.

I figure the new QT will cycle in a week since it includes some rock from my sump, so it should have a short cycle, its not all dry rock.

So he should be "ok" for a week in 10x8 fish trap right? Not a great life...but he decided to suddenly get aggressive...

31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I don't see it as an issue. It's not a QT if there is a damsel in it though unless it's a new DT for the damsel you mean.

Coral QT I meant sorry 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

A week isn't great, but it's OK. Give him something to hide in, if you can.

Keep in mind, though, it's not his fault. He probably had a hormone shift make him more aggressive. He's not doing it to be mean, he's doing it because he's an animal acting on instinct. He didn't do it on purpose, any more than ivy damages structures on purpose. Don't act with any sort of punishment in mind- it's not kind to punish any creature for an act that had no malice or intent behind it. And he wouldn't understand the idea of punishment anyway, even if he had done that on purpose. He's a fish.

• Like 1

Call around to your LFS's and ask if one of them will take it...a Yellow Damsel is a fairly desirable Damsel to the right folks with the right tank.