Cultivated Reef

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

The elegance detached from it's skeleton this morning. I should just toss it but instead I stuck it in the 10 gallon in the little Tupper ware container that has sand. Except for some critters it is alone in this tank. I reduced the flow. I am not sure if I should provide light or just try letting it rest. It probably does not matter at this point. This was the center piece of my tank 20 and I am just miserable about losing it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

The elegance detached from it's skeleton this morning. I should just toss it but instead I stuck it in the 10 gallon in the little Tupper ware container that has sand. Except for some critters it is alone in this tank. I reduced the flow. I am not sure if I should provide light or just try letting it rest. It probably does not matter at this point. This was the center piece of my tank 20 and I am just miserable about losing it.

Where there is life there is hope.  I want one, but i know they are hit or miss, even in best circumstances.  The australian ones are more hardy I think. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Seems to be something which just happens to some elegance corals, one day we may even know why, they still legitimately feel like a 50/50 everytime I see one...

To grow, thrive, then die for no discernable reason.

Maybe the ones being propagated will be the "goniopora" moment for elegance in the hobby.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Found the elegance blowing around the tank a couple of times now and it is getting smaller. I have been searching for elegance recovery after separating from skeleton or mantel and it does not seem like it does:( I think I should euthanize it by placing in the freezer before it melts and pollutes the tank. 

• Sad 4

Another successful molt by Charles. Also Charles in his favorite spot. He can grab a lot of food especially flakes from up there. I guess no pictures right now. When I try to use a photo I get a error message. Maybe later.

Yesterday I did re-scape. Moved the head back to the other side. Big Momma did not care she is still chasing the Blenny when ever he is out. I just did an extra 2 gallon water change and rinsed out the carbon and pads also replaced the filter fluff. Last WC and cleaning was on 11/7 but from moving every thing around so much the filter was filthy and plenty of gunk loose on the top of the sand. 

• Like 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing

It might have been a bad move putting the mushroom rock back in here. Not sure if it is the stronger light or more flow. Maybe both but some of the orange/red mushrooms have been letting go of the rock and I have to keep scooping them out of the tank. 

• Sad 2

I moved the pump that was blowing on the mushroom rock to the back of the tank in hopes the reduction in flow will help the mushrooms stay put. Now it is just providing nice flow behind the scape. Which is always a good idea I guess. Some good news although Mama clown still chases the blenny a little now and then. He now is out swimming around a lot more.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest change. Took the mushroom rock out and put it back in the EVO. I was picking out floaters every day. Just could let the mushrooms take over the whole tank. There is one in the zoa rock. One in the gsp and several within the xenia and toadstool rock. As hard to get rid of as aiptasia. Fed marine snow and reef roids this morning before lights on. Not sure why one gorg looks great and one is closed. Dam corals. Excuse the dirty sand. I did not vacuum it this week during WC  so I could see how bad it would get.

4D61EB52-7178-439B-B9E5-E539C8D040D6.jpeg

16B523FD-BEA5-4D03-BC82-FBF57DC77593.jpeg

B5E89505-66B0-498A-8DD1-E70DB5C7D371.jpeg

82C32951-74D6-4D6C-B285-B3A8EB02FE60.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thecoralbeauty
On 11/4/2020 at 8:56 AM, debbeach13 said:

Found the elegance blowing around the tank a couple of times now and it is getting smaller. I have been searching for elegance recovery after separating from skeleton or mantel and it does not seem like it does:( I think I should euthanize it by placing in the freezer before it melts and pollutes the tank. 

very late, but my elegance did the same after being happy and growing for about a year in my tank. no idea what caused it either and was also devastated. so sorry this happened to you. 

• debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!