Cultivated Reef

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

I know many people keep bristle worms and spaghetti worms as part of the clean up crew. Then some people have had problems with them bothering corals. I know there are more in there. Just like asterina stars every now then I take them out when I see them and can. I do not need a bunch in such a small tank.  

1 hour ago, growsomething said:

Is that a spaghetti worm at the bottom?  Good catch.  Think I have one bothering my zoa.  Looks like hydra with more blackworm-like appendages waving around than the one in your pic.  Some zoa are growing algae on them they've closed so long.

Actually, I think they're neat, but just in the sand, not causing coral death.

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

This new frontpage is great, I was missing so many of these journals before, it's nice to be able to catch-up and tag along.

The more the merrier!

• Like 2

I did a 3 gallon W/C a couple hours ago. Just turned the lights in maybe 15 minutes ago. Every thing in the tank is acting like I feed the tank. The clowns, the cleaner shrimp, the crabs, snails, and bristle worms are all crazy busy. Some thing must have spawned or hatched. I tried to take a video but I have no idea how to upload it. 

image.jpg

• Like 8
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal 10/01/2020 now that it is cooling down.

Ordered some coral on line from Aquarium Depot also in Florida. Blue Sympodium I know many consider it a weed but I have a large rock that should look nice blue. Peppermint Lord Acan new to me first acan. Tequila Sunrice Gorgonian also a first.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Tequila Sunrice Gorgonian also a first

That looks like a menella gorgonian, which is a non-photosynthetic one. They require regular feeding, FYI.  can't wait to see the piece you got, I like them a lot.   I wasn't very good at feeding, and i killed two in the past, haven't come around to buy another one yet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

That looks like a menella gorgonian, which is a non-photosynthetic one. They require regular feeding, FYI.  can't wait to see the piece you got, I like them a lot.   I wasn't very good at feeding, and i killed two in the past, haven't come around to buy another one yet.  

I have no ides which one's they are:( They should arrive today! Here is what I am planning to feed besides the frozen food marine cusine and mysis shrimp that I thaw in tank water and broadcast feed every day. I will be alternating - Marine snow and stirring up a small section of the sand bed every other day. Also alternating daily reef-roids and newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I am researching Golden pearls 100 - 200 micro meters, invertebrate eggs and larvae, copepod eggs and nauplii. I am going to reread some of the great thread of members keeping gorgonians to see what they feed and absolutely hoping to get advise from members.

• Like 1

Yesterday morning I took the 10 gallon tank off the DY stand and put it back on the kitchen counter. I add about 1/3 of a 3.38 oz. bottle of Bio-Spira to the tank. I had decided I wanted to get a new fish for the 20L tank. Last night I went to Petco to get some Mysis shrimp. I also I got a Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis Fridman). They supposedly eat bristle worms. We shall see. As previously started I also ordered coral on line.  I acknowledge that I maybe making some very questionable decisions lately and feel free to give me some crap because I am not really prepared. The coral shipment has arrived and is currently floating in the 20L.  My lugos and revive have both expired. Why did I not check before ordering???  Do I use them any way? I also did receive some zoanthids. The zoa's are a replacement for a previous order that some never opened up.

Should I dip the zoa's, blue sympodium, and acans in expired solutions or Hydrogen perioxide or fresh water?

Do people dip Gorgonians at all? I know some coral should not be dipped.. 

After dipping should I even put the new corals in the twenty or use the 10 as a QT tank? I had taken down my normal QT tank back in September to make room and use the ac20 on the 10 gallon. Well now in hind sight I will go internet searching / researching for suggestions on what others do. I would like to know what some NR members think they would do. Thanks in advance if you can offer some advise.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yesterday morning I took the 10 gallon tank off the DY stand and put it back on the kitchen counter. I add about 1/3 of a 3.38 oz. bottle of Bio-Spira to the tank. I had decided I wanted to get a new fish for the 20L tank. Last night I went to Petco to get some Mysis shrimp. I also I got a Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis Fridman). They supposedly eat bristle worms. We shall see. As previously started I also ordered coral on line.  I acknowledge that I maybe making some very questionable decisions lately and feel free to give me some crap because I am not really prepared. The coral shipment has arrived and is currently floating in the 20L.  My lugos and revive have both expired. Why did I not check before ordering???  Do I use them any way? I also did receive some zoanthids. The zoa's are a replacement for a previous order that some never opened up.

Should I dip the zoa's, blue sympodium, and acans in expired solutions or Hydrogen perioxide or fresh water?

Do people dip Gorgonians at all? I know some coral should not be dipped.. 

After dipping should I even put the new corals in the twenty or use the 10 as a QT tank? I had taken down my normal QT tank back in September to make room and use the ac20 on the 10 gallon. Well now in hind sight I will go internet searching / researching for suggestions on what others do. I would like to know what some NR members think they would do. Thanks in advance if you can offer some advise.

That's allot, I can't imagine too much would be harmful in expired dips, though it's possible some of the oils and terpenes may break down into things less-effective or more-irritating to the corals - I've seen people anecdotally blame expired dips for dead corals. 
Dilute Peroxide is less harsh than freshwater to most corals, don't think I'd ever end up on the fw coral dip wagon.
I don't believe there's harm in dipping gorgs, zoas can probably handle both h2o2 and freshwater.

Orchid dottybacks anecdotally do eat bristleworms and I've seen photos of their little faces covered in spines to prove it XD

QT is always the best option, but not always a reasonable option, that part's up to you I think.

• Like 2

Thanks I just saw a couple times when people claim freshwater dips killed gorge, one even said do not expose to air. Several used coral RX. I miss spoke the corals are all floating in the 10 gallon. Being so unsure I am leaning towards. No dip and use the 10 as a QT for now. Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

A little over a week ago I was looking for a BTA and I posted on FB in a couple local reef forums. Had a lead for a future maybe but that was it. Tonight I got an IM from a reefer that is located very close to me offering a free BTA. So all of a sudden things could be really changing around. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Absolutely need to trim this Kenya Tree. Hopefully in the morning before lights come on. The new frags are doing ok I guess. There is a snail and a hermit scrounging the left overs. Taking a picture in Tupperware is not that easy. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

I forgot to say Yesterday that I moved the Tupperware with the new frags and the fish into the 20L way ahead of when I planned. This way the 10 could house the anemone I was offered Friday night. I once again changed the scape for the new fish which so far so good. He has a favorite spot. Right hand front under some rock. He comes out and swims around a little and eats. The clowns so far are not chasing him. Of course after doing all this I have not heard any more about the anemone. But I still might. The person said he would IM yesterday but shit happens. 

• Like 4

They were placed in there because the 10 gallon has no sand except what is in the container and it was so easy to just pick it up and move them all at once. Remember lazy reefer here. I did trim 2 small pieces of Kenya Tree and glued them to empty snail shells this morning, Put those in the tank, put the big piece in the ten for now. Also took 1 piece of the new so white rock out and put back in the 10. I was sitting trying to decide about taking the frags out of the Tupperware so it can go back in the 10. I guess you are telling me to get it done. 

• Like 4

Right now 3. I do not think it will last unless I do end up with an anemone. Even then I am not sure. May keep the 10 as anemone with clown fish. Well I did pull the frags out of the Tupperware and put that back in the ten. Which meant moving things around a little. Not sure I will like the new scape. Done messing around with the tanks for today. Yesterday I finally put the e-flux programable pump in the 20L so I could move the nano 565 to the 10. Didn't program the new pump yet. Going to torture my dog now and leave the tanks alone. Bath, brush teeth, and cut nails. She loves baths but hates the other 2. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sounds like a plan. :)  My dog sits on the bed and mopes when I fiddle in the aquariums.  I have 2 freshwater and the pico salt, so ya I'm looking to break down the 5 gallon spec planted, to make room for the cube. I dunno. I just can't see keeping more water lol.  Ok me too doggie time.  Have a nice day. 

• Like 1

Pseudochromis Fridman seems to like the new scape or is just getting more comfy in this tank. Either way more active today. Lights are on not sure I like the scape now but will try my best to leave it alone At least until the next WC. Not sure how to sex a purple dottyback but I think I will consider it a girl and her name is Penelope. How the tank looks now. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

I have not been able to keep my hands out of the tank. Every time I feed the coral the cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs go nuts cleaning the new frags. Constantly knocking the gorgs over on their side and a couple times flipping the other frags. Last night I glued the gorgs to a small piece of rock. Today I will glue the zoa's the the big zoa rock. Not sure just yet where to put the acan's or blue sympodium, I have not heard any thing more about the anemone it will be a week tomorrow. I wish in a way I had left the frags in the 10 but it doesn't make any sense to put them back now. 0 for 2 on getting a BTA so far. 

• Like 4
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!