Pod Your Reef

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

1 hour ago, thecoralbeauty said:

very late, but my elegance did the same after being happy and growing for about a year in my tank. no idea what caused it either and was also devastated. so sorry this happened to you. 

It is so sad and has happened to a couple other members also. I would love to try again but will not. I can't handle it when such a beautiful coral dies and I do not know why so would not know what to do different. Just because I wanted it.

• Like 2

Every thing is still upset from the morning W/C and I turned the rock to have the toadstool in front. Right now it is almost

standing up so I can also see the mushrooms that are underneath. Going to change the direction of the pump and see if it will flatten out a bit. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a bare bottom QT tank but with a container of sand. I place new frags in the container and when ready I move the container to the 20L. But that time I think it was loose mushrooms because for frags I do not use a cover. 

• Like 1

So far so good. The anemone has stayed put. I realize that one week is not very long but I have been feeding it hoping it will stay happy right there. I didn’t mention it but that same day I also moved the fanged blenny back in here. He stays in a small barnacle cluster right in the front of the tank if the large clown is out. She spends a good deal of her time in the back right corner unless it’s time to eat. He is definitely adjusting much better this time. After the night feeding the clown goes in the Stonehenge head and the blenny has a ball swimming everywhere. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The photos above show. The anemone moved on to the head today. Now it went around and inside facing the back of the tank. The clowns and some times the orchid dottyback sleep in there. I removed the big rock the anemone was on.

CBC1527B-6CD0-47C9-9D39-6B5DE56D6840.jpeg

12762661-4281-4689-BC94-53BA54D27F13.jpeg

59D71CD9-8F2C-4D63-A517-93035FE7EBC2.jpeg

• Like 2

What are these? Perfect little circles with a spot in the center. They were noticed 2 or 3 days ago. Tried to hold a magnifying glass and take a picture. Not sure how long before something eats them. I would like to know what they are if you know please share your knowledge. D7B70FE9-1848-4ED0-820E-EE934787D80D.thumb.jpeg.b86be39a33cdb1ebdc286f1c7da83ffa.jpeg

• Wow 1
On 1/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, debbeach13 said:

Charles molted again. While grabbing the empty shell I also got 2 asterina stars and 3 worms.

I'm new just venturing into Saltwater ( have first tank cycling now ), but I have had heavily planted tanks with shrimp colonies to manage algae and.  The FW shrimp in the tank eat their empty shells as nutrients to form new shells.  

Have you ever tried leaving empty shell in tank and let nature take it's course while testing water?.  I'm guessing it will disappear on it's own and ( Guessing here ) shell won't cause a spike in nutrients.  

Yes you are correct.

I pull it out some times but when I leave it I see the crabs usually eat it. When I first started out stuff that died got buried in the sand. Small fish and snails. We figured that was natural. Long time ago used under gravel filters and before  live rock. 

• 2 weeks later...

WC day for this tank. I usually give the glass a good cleaning before I start but I am not going to today of course lights are not on yet and there are a dozen baby snails on the front glass. Cleaning always knocks them off and then I am pretty sure the crabs eat them. Those four dots I took a photo of on Jan. 26 are also still there. I do not see any change in them but want to leave them for now. 

• Like 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!