Coral Vue Hydros

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

While observing the tank over the last several days I noticed green wire type algae. I have seen some previously in this tank. I have previously removed some manually but it never got out of control. I have not seen my emerald crab in awhile and was not sure if it perished even before the heater malfunction. That along with the death of Charles the cleaner shrimp has me wondering if they both may have occasionally been eating this algae. Now I am thinking that I may want to replace these critters sooner rather than later if available at the LFS.

• Like 2

I just did a 3 gallon WC. Since I removed the filter 9 days ago a film did appear on top of the water. Today I changed out 1 of 2 Hydor Koralia 565 pumps with a YCTech Freesea fs-130 wave maker. This pump is a little larger but it has adjustable flow up to 1056 GPH and the orientation is adjustable. So I set is at approximately half way for the flow adjustment which still looks like a considerable amount more flow and aimed up at the water surface to break up that film. Then I filled the AC 50 filter with new carbon, pillow fluff and pad and hung it back on the tank. Thankfully it started right up and is not making any noise! Since I feel the tank is still recuperating from the heater malfunction I feel better running the filter. I do think I will remove it again when I go on vacation just because one less thing for the tank sitter to keep an eye on. 

I did test out the auto feeder for a few days with flake and tiny slow sinking pellets (which is what I had). It worked fine but I have removed it for now. 

The bad news is I have not seen Fredrick 1 of 2 yellow watchman gobies for a couple days. Also stopped by a couple LFS neither one had any emerald crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, or larger pellets. So the search is on.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning reefers. The new shrimp is doing great. I decided to call it Callie. No idea if it is a girl but no matter. I could only find 2 of the sexy shrimp this morning but the 3rd could just be hiding. 10/16 I stirred up the sand bed with forceps and pulled out at least a dozen bristle worms and a couple spaghetti worms. 10/17 did a 2 gallon WC and all new filter media. The tank still is not great some more zoa's have melted but this has happened in this tank before so I can not say for sure it is still from the heater episode. I think it is because they were actually spreading and looking pretty until then. I am not happy with how things are going at all. Feel like I want to pull every out, thin out all duplicate coral, trim, frag and re-scape but that is probably a bad idea.     

• Like 3

I did end up moving a couple things because  I pulled out the used to be zoa rock out and tried one more time to remove or kill the orange/red mushroom on that rock. I didn't really get it all so I have no doubt it will be back in a couple days or weeks. This morning I spot feed every thing a mix of marine snow and reef-roids.

In other news I added a 2"x4" to the back of the stand at the top that I built for the evo5. Then I placed 1/4" plywood on top of that so now the stand is 15" deep. This would allow me to put the Nuvo pro on this stand. Yes the tank I won and received on Nov. 6, 2020. I have a goal to get it wet by the end of the year. I was going to do it now but I will be up North for 12 days in November and want the tank sitter to just take care of the 20L. I have been checking Ikea for a 12" W x 15" D x 30" H cabinet but they are out of stock on every brand for over 3 weeks now. I will keep checking but the DIY stand is much stronger just not as pretty.  

• Like 1
growsomething

It is so hard to kill some corals when you want to.

How many gallons is the Nuvo pro?  I like most things I.M.

Was I.M. just bought out along with BRS by the same conglomerate?

• Like 1

It can be hard depending on the coral and especially hard if it can retract into a space in the rock. The tank is the old style pro 10. Holds about 8 gallons of water when empty. I am not sure if IM was bought out. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, debbeach13 said:

Lights aren’t in yet. When I went up to the tank the shrimp was on the toadstool, walked across the mushroom and almost came up to the glass. 

90E0340E-255A-4931-B599-6199089430F8.jpeg

0924B00E-CE0F-43E1-AA04-AF94359F0991.jpeg

ED2FBAAA-C73D-4FCB-A943-0D9881D5AA74.jpeg

98937777-6E3F-44BF-B2C3-F83091689683.jpeg

what are those mushrooms? really love the way they look

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from trading in some duplicate corals. A large green hairy mushroom, an almost fist size pulsing xenia, 2 full frag plugs of firecracker polyps and 2 decent sized blue Kenya tree.  Got a pouch of live pods and still have $28.00 credit on my account. I didn't get any live stock since I will be out of town for vacation soon.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Changes made today. One light removed leaving one, mesh top removed and replaced with old glass top. Auto fed set up and ATO top off filled. Move some coral to low light and low flow. Over in the left. Which meant moving other coral also. Dirty glass and floaters in the pictures, check. We’ll see how much algae grows on that front glass. Has to be way up front so the auto feeder is stable and dry. Just flakes and tiny pellets. Once a day for two weeks. 

C5E0A378-42A7-4D47-8177-2EA8B978FFA4.jpeg

B75046F6-BE53-4F2C-857C-96404A73A330.jpeg

C5402F4E-E118-4815-B29F-723E3B141DE1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Vacation is over and I am back home. Visited my family and friends up In MA and NH. Left on 11/18 and got home last night. Ok course spent time loving and getting love from my  girl Abby. 
 The tank did OK, all three fish and the coral are alive and well. But I have not seen the cleaner shrimp yet or the large old turbo snail. Front glass is dirty but not outrageous. Waiting for lights to come on and then I will feed some frozen marine cuisine and hopefully see the shrimp. Had a really nice vacation but glad to be home.

• Like 4

Bristle worms came out to eat but no Callie. I didn’t have her very long at all. I was hoping to have the same years of enjoyment like I had with Charles. I found and turned over the turbo snail a few hours ago but he hasn’t moved.

7DA83010-4781-4198-A53C-17BD3CF62F6D.jpeg

28048A3F-1ED2-433C-BBF4-2988AA415532.jpeg

CFDBCAD6-E608-4C03-A5B8-152F87EF153A.jpeg

52365220-D11A-4778-94E5-50C4979F3EF5.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!