Pod Your Reef

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

debbeach13
20 hours ago, gena said:

I'm pretty sure the leather in my tank is the same variety as yours <3.  And I am sooo going to need some cloves again :).  

If you were close I would set you up, toadstool, Blue Kenya tree, cloves, GSP, and pulsing Xenia.  All weeds to most but I love them.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

If you were close I would set you up, toadstool, Blue Kenya tree, cloves, GSP, and pulsing Xenia.  All weeds to most but I love them.

That would be so amazing, darn it...thanks for the thought :).  And I would have taken ALL of them LOL.  I love the weeds!!!!  

• Like 3
debbeach13

For some time now I have been thinking that I need to care for just one tank. Today after doing a WC in this tank and getting ready to do the 10 gallon I did it. All the coral, both yellow watchman gobies, and 3 sexy shrimp from the 10 are now in the 20L. I also grabbed any snail or crab I could find. I didn’t actually scape the tank. Just found a place to put everything. As always my pictures are terrible but you get the idea. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

It's going to look great!!!  20L tanks are such a great size.  I bet you are feeling that wonderful sense of relief having one less tank to care for.  And you still get to keep all the critters 😊.

• Like 3
mitten_reef
21 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

For some time now I have been thinking that I need to care for just one tank. Today after doing a WC in this tank and getting ready to do the 10 gallon I did it. All the coral, both yellow watchman gobies, and 3 sexy shrimp from the 10 are now in the 20L. I also grabbed any snail or crab I could find. I didn’t actually scape the tank. Just found a place to put everything. As always my pictures are terrible but you get the idea. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

glad to see those yellow gorgs are still looking healthy and fluffy, they never panned out well for me

• Like 4

Yesterday I traded in two toadstools $20.00 each and a good sized chunk of firecracker polyp's $40.00 at top shelf aquatics. Of course I used the credit and then some to purchase 3 new pieces. a very nice acan and 2 different candy canes. I will post pictures in a couple days. Young William and Fredric my two yellow watchman gobies are getting along great. They love the extra room of this tank and come out a lot more. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yesterday I traded in two toadstools $20.00 each and a good sized chunk of firecracker polyp's $40.00 at top shelf aquatics. Of course I used the credit and then some to purchase 3 new pieces. a very nice acan and 2 different candy canes. I will post pictures in a couple days. Young William and Fredric my two yellow watchman gobies are getting along great. They love the extra room of this tank and come out a lot more. 

Ohhhh...can't wait to see your candy canes!!! 😊

• Like 2

Diver Dan here can you believe this s h i t, I am homeless again! Oh Young William is having a ball. He is in a tank four times larger than the one we started in. He also has his new best friend Fredric with him. Me no I am out and completely exposed. No air and I can not go treasure hunting. No longer living the dream.

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

WOW is all I can say. I had previously been to WWC old location several times and it was a great store. Yesterday while touring downtown Orlando with visiting friends from MA and Maine we went to the new location, yes it opened about 3 years ago but I had not been there yet. Absolutely amazing!! If you have not been there yet try to stop by besides an amazing collection of corals for sale viewing the display tanks alone is worth the trip! 

• Like 2

I removed the acan from the plug and glued it to a barnacle with the other acans I already had. I placed one of the candy cane’s still on the frag plug into a crevice on a large rock but didn’t glue it. Didn’t move the other candy cane it is still sitting on the sand. They both look smaller to me 😞

I run a dirty tank and I feel that the candy’s might not do well. I also took a picture of the RFA that I got from Seafurn. It moved out from a spot that I couldn’t get a photo to it’s own little piece of rock where I can see it. It chose a low light and low flow spot. I am going to leave it there since it picked it. For maybe the third time this year I pulled out the API reef master test kit. I know worst test kit ever according to most. Any way here are the results after a 2 gallon WC yesterday. 
calcium 440

DKH 10 or KH 179

phosphate .5

nitrate 20 

I man going to mix up 4 or 5 gallons and do another WC tomorrow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5
22 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I removed the acan from the plug and glued it to a barnacle with the other acans I already had. I placed one of the candy cane’s still on the frag plug into a crevice on a large rock but didn’t glue it. Didn’t move the other candy cane it is still sitting on the sand. They both look smaller to me 😞

I run a dirty tank and I feel that the candy’s might not do well. I also took a picture of the RFA that I got from Seafurn. It moved out from a spot that I couldn’t get a photo to it’s own little piece of rock where I can see it. It chose a low light and low flow spot. I am going to leave it there since it picked it. For maybe the third time this year I pulled out the API reef master test kit. I know worst test kit ever according to most. Any way here are the results after a 2 gallon WC yesterday. 
calcium 440

DKH 10 or KH 179

phosphate .5

nitrate 20 

I man going to mix up 4 or 5 gallons and do another WC tomorrow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have always run dirty tanks and the candy canes don't mind it at all.  Maybe it's just a light adjustment thing.  I wouldn't worry...I'm sure they will plump up again!!!!

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it. Yesterday I went to Walmart but they didn’t have any gallon jugs of water and they still didn’t today! I did grab 11 gallons at Publix so I will mix up 4 gallons and do a WC tomorrow. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

I have always run dirty tanks and the candy canes don't mind it at all.  Maybe it's just a light adjustment thing.  I wouldn't worry...I'm sure they will plump up again!!!!

How does one run a dirty tank?

I've got a low bioload with my 10 gal and low Phos / Nitrate which led to nasty dino I'm not enjoying.  Finally figured that I need to raise these nutrient levels to clear the DINO, but haven't quite figured how I do that.  

Tried taking my lazy FW habits to salt water and learned they are not compatible.

36 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I've got a low bioload with my 10 gal and low Phos / Nitrate which led to nasty dino I'm not enjoying.  Finally figured that I need to raise these nutrient levels to clear the DINO, but haven't quite figured how I do that.  

Tried taking my lazy FW habits to salt water and learned they are not compatible.

You could always just dose the Nitrate and Phosphate from seachem and use their dosing calculators to determine exactly how much to put in (bear in mind the phosphate will likely take a bit more than called for).

6 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Feeding a healthy amount.  Not too many water changes (once a month for me currently).  That's my method.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, gena said:

It's going to look great!!!  20L tanks are such a great size.  I bet you are feeling that wonderful sense of relief having one less tank to care for.  And you still get to keep all the critters 😊.

I think the 20L is the most under rated tank in the hobby. They are cheap, easy to find, insanely flexible, and the perfect size for beginners who more often than not get too big a tank to handle. Ive just been too busy to post a journal of mine.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The good news after a hell week of uncertainty with my son being in the hospital.  My son is in the recovery room and doing well. He just had a catheter ablation procedure.  Finally after waiting because it was considered an elective procedure and they just lifted the restrictions on elective procedures yesterday. Thank God!

The bad news my heater malfunctioned last night and cooked my tank. I have used ice packs and got the temp. down to eighty. I just did a 5 gallon water change and changed out all the filter media. Running carbon, poly filter pad and the regular blue and white filter pad. Charles my cleaner shrimp passed and has been removed. Both clowns and at least one YWG and 2 sexy's have been spotted alive. All the coral look like crap and I have no doubt a bunch of inverts are dead but some snails are still moving around. Going to mix up some more NSW and repeat the water change and filter media but might not happen until tomorrow. Any thing else I should do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!