inTank Media Baskets

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

Some times I am patient and some times I am not. I was not with the BTA. It wouldn’t settle down and I didn’t really want to risk it killing any coral. So one morning when it was on the glass and heading for the uncovered filter intake I decided to move it back to the ten gallon tank. I used me license and removed it from the 20. I did not acclimate it at all just placed it on a rock. It seemed fine in less than a day. I have been feeding it a few times a week. I just noticed it split. So now I have two. I don’t know when it split because one was almost under a rock. I turned the rock over so I could see them both.

924A2FD4-B254-4CD7-AE61-E7B07BE283E4.jpeg

• Like 3

The little dots are gone this morning. Not sure if something ate them. Hopefully    that is not the case and 3 or 4 baby snails are roaming around. Since I stared feeding the acans and gorgonians all of the coral have really grown. I will absolutely have to frag that Xenia and GSP soon. Still waiting for my son to grab that empty tank. Then I can make room in here. Also going to give him some zoanthids, clove polyps, and blue symposium. Just not all at once. 

DA471B50-0779-495E-AA8B-24C147C14F45.jpeg

DEAF7896-31F8-45D5-8D76-642A9DF9A84A.jpeg

5011ADC0-66BD-496C-BE8F-2BF030EFD500.jpeg

6AD7DCEC-3E1B-4555-9BD0-EE0BCFDFCC84.jpeg

BE3B326C-BF08-45C4-BCF4-426B3F0360DA.jpeg

• Like 5

Just read through the 6 pages, quite an adventure so far and now looking good! 🙂

I wouldn't give up on an Elegance coral just yet.  The trick is to find one that originates from Australia (absolutely avoid Indo-Pacific) and preferably from a vendor that doesn't mix the two locations in their holding systems for this coral.

https://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/27/catalaphyllia-eleganshave-you-tried-a-small-australian-elegance-coral-lately/

It's often not so easy finding a stable balance of multiple fish in these smaller nano tanks, especially after they all grow out.  After many, many years I now take a bit more of a 'less is more' approach...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Received an order from reef cleaners today. It was packed and shipped on Monday and we are both in Florida. Well packed and I expect every thing to be fine. After temperature acclimation of about 35 minutes.

I put 2 money cowrie's, 5 Nassarius Vibex, and 3 Nerite snails in the 20L tank.  

Also added to the evo 5 tank,  3 sexy shrimp that were moving in the bags, 1 nassarius vibex, and 1 nerite snail that have both already moved.. 

Ordered a tripp lite with 6 individually controlled / 7 outlet power strip or my simple controller for the simple minded - no programing required. and new refractometer.  Oh and glycoflex 3 for my dog Abby for her sore joints. 

• Like 2
On 2/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, debbeach13 said:

The little dots are gone this morning. Not sure if something ate them. Hopefully    that is not the case and 3 or 4 baby snails are roaming around. Since I stared feeding the acans and gorgonians all of the coral have really grown. I will absolutely have to frag that Xenia and GSP soon. Still waiting for my son to grab that empty tank. Then I can make room in here. Also going to give him some zoanthids, clove polyps, and blue symposium. Just not all at once. 

DA471B50-0779-495E-AA8B-24C147C14F45.jpeg

DEAF7896-31F8-45D5-8D76-642A9DF9A84A.jpeg

5011ADC0-66BD-496C-BE8F-2BF030EFD500.jpeg

6AD7DCEC-3E1B-4555-9BD0-EE0BCFDFCC84.jpeg

BE3B326C-BF08-45C4-BCF4-426B3F0360DA.jpeg

Looking good!

• Thanks 1
On 3/17/2021 at 2:18 PM, debbeach13 said:

Received an order from reef cleaners today. It was packed and shipped on Monday and we are both in Florida. 

What part? I’m from florida. I grew up in the panhandle then lived in satellite beach (just south of cape Canaveral) for 4 years. Living in Massachusetts at the moment but heading back in 4-5 years.

I decided to order the dual light tank mount. Summer is coming quick here in Florida. This means I usually change from the glass top to a screen top. This helps keep the temperature a little more stable but evaporation will increase. The micro ATO has been very reliable knock on wood. After such a tight clean look of the lights so close to the tank the mount is a little distracting but not terrible. I am starting at the placement that keeps the lights the closest to the tank. The instructions say 5" seems about right. The spread is a little better being up higher. I just hope that the change does not reduce the intensity too much.   

How the new mount looks. The ATO hose is preventing the screen from sitting flat. But I done fiddling for today. Did a 2 G WC, cleaned the filter, replaced the pillow fluff but only rinsed the pad and carbon.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Charles successfully molted again.

I am pretty sure the clowns are protecting eggs (laid inside the head) Mama clown had been chasing the fang blenny away and for a couple days and this morning I had to remove his remains. Now this tank is back to 2 clowns and a orchid dottyback for fish. 

awakedॢ
On 8/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, debbeach13 said:

Well the small clown repeat jumped. I have a screen lid but there is a small opening in the back. 

B467D750-0217-47C0-9830-5742D5EEBE40.jpeg

I had some similar story like that, n I called it as ‘Miraculous Death’. 

It’s kinda sad long story. 🤣

• 1 month later...
debbeach13

Moved the RFA and zoanthids that I got from Seafurn. They were taken from the 10 gallon tank which got 4 sexy shrimp today. The shrimp were in the Evo not a contestant tank. I took the Evo down today.

40485EF0-D484-4D27-A88E-86B484DAB80D.jpeg

79EB26EF-9C3C-4222-8351-EB700D0C679C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
debbeach13

Good morning nano reef. I just did a regular WC of 2 gallons and changed all the filter media. The rock flower anemone looks the same as the above picture. Some times it appears a bit larger but the coloring is the same. I was busy this weekend and didn't notice some of the new zoanthids (from Seafurn) do not looks as nice and the little teeny tiny ones may have melted so last night I put them back in the 10. Not sure if that will help or not. All of the old established zoa's look fine along with the other corals in this tank. Maybe the change in lighting. Maybe it is just the same old tradition that not all zoanthids like me. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Jungle_vip

Zoas can be so frustrating. I have some that flourish, Others that haven’t budged, and the WWC people eaters that melted away in three days from a local Reefer. Sucks they can be so amazing and so difficult at the same time. Fingers crossed they pull through

• Like 1
debbeach13

Chris often gives them out as prizes. I got some a couple years ago telling stories of the old days in a Happy Birthday thread. I also bought a tee shirt and he put a couple in as a surprise. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!