inTank Media Baskets

My 20L Journal always changing!!!

debbeach13

Oh geez!!!!!  So sorry to hear this!!!!  But your son is well and really that's the most important thing ❤️.

I would just keep an eye on your ammonia levels.  Do you have access to one of those ammonia badges?  Might help you keep your sanity from not having to constantly check the ammonia levels.  Just have plenty of NSW on hand, in case you need it.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you...big hugs!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
growsomething

You use natural sea water, debbeach?  I do but haven't been able to bcs of red tide most of the year.  Only my large zoas are closing, but I think it may be due to an explosion of tiny "mites" I see crawling the glass, and not due to no water changes.

Glad your son's procedure went well.  I occasionally have an irregular rhythm,  and it can be a little disconcerting. 

Now if you can get your tank back on track...

Are tanks a welcome distraction or unnecessary stressor at times like these for you?

• Like 1

This morning the water in the tank is still cloudy but it is better than before the water change yesterday. Some coral looks better some not so much. Right now I have 8 gallons of NSW mixing that will be ready in a few hours and I have 2 gallons that is ready now. So what would be better.

Do a 10 gallon WC on the 20 and change all the filter media again. Because the tank is pretty full of rock and coral 10 gallons would probably be about 80%.

OR use the 8 gallons in a 10 gallon tank and move some of the coral into it and leaving it bare bottom for now. Like the hammer, gorg's,, the candy canes that haven't done great since I got them, and the acans. Probably leaving mushrooms, xenia, clove polyps, gsp you know all the weed like corals that can take a beating and keep on going. Leaving all the fish and inverts in the 20. 

I am leaning towards just leaving it all in the 20 because that is what a lazy reefer likes less work. But I also want to save as much coral as possible so if a sort of hospital tank seems like a better choice I will do it. 

Don't be shy tell me what you would do.

PS my son had a great night and is going to be released to go home this afternoon. He will be monitored for a couple months. If every thing stays as good as it is right now he may not need a pacemaker!

• Like 5
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

do water change, replace media, and I would pull whatever that green thing is above the red gorg (hammer?).  it's not likely gonna make it - may as well not leave it in to keep polluting the tank.

• Like 5

Looks like there's plenty of life left in the system, unfortunately I agree on isolating or pulling the euphyllia. I'm an even lazier reefer and would just change the entire water volume out in two 50%'s over two days or so.

Glad the procedure went well and am really hoping your son doesn't end up needing a pacemaker!

• Like 1

I agree as well. Leave it be. Just keep doing what you are doing. Couple big water changes like you are. Then go back to normal schedule. Change the floss/pad every day. Rinse any media bags off every 2-3 days until you think it’s all good again. Tank looks pissed but some corals are open. Good sign. 

that’s great news about your son! No pacemaker🤞🏼

• Thanks 1

I too would just leave everything in the 20 and do the 80% water change, etc.  Except for the hammer, things look alright.  I would also keep an eye on any snails that haven't moved for a bit and make sure they aren't dead.  I think it's going to be alright.  Great news about your boy!!!!!

• Like 1

Just got back from my son's and he is doing so well. Thanks for all the good wishes.

Yesterday I did just an 8 gallon WC and all new media. I saved the 2 gallons just in case. The tank is clear right now. I took out a single serving size little cup of sand and dump it in a bowl. There was life - 2 bristle worms and a spaghetti worm. I have seen all 3 sexy"s, plenty of snails and all four fish. The toadstool is shedding. Ricordia are so tiny. In fact a lot of coral have shrunk and some like the zoa.'s are closed (they could melt zoa's hate me). Of course keep an eye on things but there is some fantastic rock in there so I am going to relax (and I do mean relax.).  Do a W/C and new media in a couple days. I expect a slow and almost complete recovery for a lot of the corals. That's another reason soft almost pest coral are great.

• Like 3

Did the water change and new carbon, rinsed the poly filter and pad. Added a small bag of poly fluff pillow stuffing on top which is easy enough to replace as needed. The old tank water still had a little off smell and I could see some of the crap from the toadstool which I have been blowing off with a turkey baster. The coral for the most part looks the same. Smaller and zoanthids still closed. Also saw ton's of worms when I moved rocks around a little to vacuum the sand.  So I feel like a still have a decent amount of critters. Happy Labor Day everyone.

• Like 3

Not fantastic but I know it could be a lot worse. At least half the zoanthids are gone and the blue symposium is about 1/3 of what it used to be. The ricordea are just dots. Lost some of the firecracker clove polyps but some should make it. Plus the frag on the other side of the tank looks the same as always. Green hairy mushroom may have actually grown. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Yesterday I ordered a new pump for my ATO. No complaints that little pump has worked flawlessly for years. I miss Charlie's antics that cleaner shrimp was so active. Now it is kind of boring with out him. Not yet but I hope to replace him soon. I apologize for any unanswered comments or incomplete answers while my son was in the hospital. He is doing fantastic and heading back to work on Monday. 

• Like 7

Quick 2 gallon WC, rinsed carbon, new pad and pillow fluff, tossed the poly filter it was only diatom brown not any thing worrisome. All four ric's didn't make it. Every thing else seems to be hanging on for now. There are some polyps of blue sympodium still on the rock so I was very careful not to disturb them.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Darn pump not arriving until 9/21. Time to mark the water level with a piece of scotch tape. Checking SG every day is no longer my jam. Plus I do not want to get licked out of the lazy reefers club!

I just eyeball it by torn up sticky notes... I genuinely don't know if that's lazier than an ATO or not lol.

• Like 2

Pump arrived yesterday and I just put the ATO back together. I will keep an eye on it but so far so good. No other changes to report.  Except for the blue sympodium I feel the coral that is left is going to be fine. I am still going to try and wait a little longer before adding any thing new.

• Like 2

Did a 2 gallon WC. Removed the filter to soak some parts in vinegar and give it a good cleaning. I might leave it off and see how dirty the tank gets. Had a little problem with the ATO evidently I did not attach the hose correctly to the siphon stop value or well who knows. I did double check and the value flow is in the correct direction. I heard the water right away so a very minor amount of wetness in the cabinet. I disconnected it for the night. Put it back together and placed the reservoir outside of the stand just in case it happens again.

I decided I need a trip up North to see family and friends. In a couple months I will be gone for 12 days. In preparation for that while the filter is out I am also going to set up an auto feeder, I have to get some pellets first. Then reduce the light schedule. Sort of a test run. The hardest part will be keeping my hands out of the tank like I wasn't even here! I have no doubt the glass and sand are going to look terrible. My kids will come check the tank and top of the reservoir if needed. 

• Like 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to My 20L Journal always changing!!!