ReefCleaners.org

B-Ionic 2 part vs Tropic Marin All for Reef?

justinkdenny

I just switched to All for Reef from B-Ionic. Not because B-Bionic doesn't work, it works great, but rather for a couple reasons: 1) I don't dose much, therefore small discrepancies between the dosing heads for the 2-part leads to an large imbalance in a small tank, removing a variable (going from 2 part to 1 part), in my mind removes a potential failure point for my tank; 2) cost isn't an issue for me,  one of the criticisms of AFR is the cost, having a 10 gallon, I don't dose much. A couple of other things. You have a small tank, consider diluting the dosing fluid in the dosing container with distilled water or in a separate container if you are dosing by hand. I dilute my dosing fluids by half, this allow for more precise dosing amounts, and allows me to spread the few ML's of dosing fluid I dose throughout the day. Additionally, if you are just starting out dosing or considering dosing, make sure you need to. I was able to get by the first year-plus of my tank with just water changes, and I had a lot of coral in my tank, most of which were SPS. Dosing needs to be precise and consistent, you have to be willing to commit to it, if not it will cause more harm than good. Even with 20+ SPS frags in my 10 gallon, I'm only dosing 4 mls a day of All for Reef. I would seriously consider a dosing pump if you going to be making the leap, I know several people on here do it by hand, and honestly, I can't imagine doing that... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I just switched to All for Reef from B-Ionic. Not because B-Bionic doesn't work, it works great, but rather for a couple reasons: 1) I don't dose much, therefore small discrepancies between the dosing heads for the 2-part leads to an large imbalance in a small tank, removing a variable (going from 2 part to 1 part), in my mind removes a potential failure point for my tank; 2) cost isn't an issue for me,  one of the criticisms of AFR is the cost, having a 10 gallon, I don't dose much. A couple of other things. You have a small tank, consider diluting the dosing fluid in the dosing container with distilled water or in a separate container if you are dosing by hand. I dilute my dosing fluids by half, this allow for more precise dosing amounts, and allows me to spread the few ML's of dosing fluid I dose throughout the day. Additionally, if you are just starting out dosing or considering dosing, make sure you need to. I was able to get by the first year-plus of my tank with just water changes, and I had a lot of coral in my tank, most of which were SPS. Dosing needs to be precise and consistent, you have to be willing to commit to it, if not it will cause more harm than good. Even with 20+ SPS frags in my 10 gallon, I'm only dosing 4 mls a day of All for Reef. I would seriously consider a dosing pump if you going to be making the leap, I know several people on here do it by hand, and honestly, I can't imagine doing that... 

What's your dilution ratio? AFR uses bacterial metabolism to make calcium and carbonates so I was wondering if you get any bacterial growth in the diluted dosing container cus I'm considering doing something similar just using the raw components. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, East1 said:

What's your dilution ratio? AFR uses bacterial metabolism to make calcium and carbonates so I was wondering if you get any bacterial growth in the diluted dosing container cus I'm considering doing something similar just using the raw components. 

I'm diluting it with equal parts distilled water, so I guess 1:1. I have not noticed any bacterial growth , but I will keep an eye on it. I had read elsewhere of others diluting it without problems, though I did just read through the DIY recipe thread on R2R where they discuss the bio-magnesium. On that tread Tropic Marin said it can be diluted without problem. Additionally, after reading your question, I did email Tropic Marin (still waiting), and also chatted with BRS, who said it can be diluted. 

What is this wonder drug for a tank?  It actually contains Alk + Ca + Mg + other trace elements?  This can replace a 2-part?  Please elaborate @Cannedfish or some other discussion links??  I am currently running the IM30L and dosing ~16mL of 2 part.  

Thanks

-Jeff

justinkdenny
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

My tank has been up for a year.  I use to use reef crystals which kept up with my calcium alk needs but it mixed crazy high alk readings which caused some problems.   I switched to brightwell salt which mixes closer to sea levels.  Now my alkalinity and calcium and mag levels are decreasing between water changes so I figured I needed to start dosing. My calcium and magnesium are still a little high but every time I check them they seem to be on a downward trend. I love your tank by the way and have used it as example of how to do things.  Do you still do the daily small water changes? I did that when I was trying to lower my alk with new salt. 

Also, my wife and I love those black chickens you have.  We have a mixture of chickens, mainly polish and silkie but would like to have some of those black ones someday.

8 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

What is this wonder drug for a tank?  It actually contains Alk + Ca + Mg + other trace elements?  This can replace a 2-part?  Please elaborate @Cannedfish or some other discussion links??  I am currently running the IM30L and dosing ~16mL of 2 part.  

Thanks

-Jeff

There are some pretty amazing threads about it on reef2reef,

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/calling-randy-tropic-marins-all-the-reef.520092/