Coral Vue Hydros

Lids and lights

Began0818

I have purchased a overhead light for my reef tank and was wondering what kind of top I can put on the tank without harming the light rays going through to the tank will a glass clear topper affect how the light works I’m nervous to go topless don’t want fish to jump out 

All types of lid be they glass, acryllic, or even just egg crate will affect light transmission into the tank. But it wont be enough to be concerned about.

• Like 1

I would go with a mesh lid as glass lids get condensation on them which can cause spotlighting.

Mesh also allows for better oxygen exchange.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just in case anyone googles and bumps into here, Acrylic is 92% "clear" and will allow around 90% of light through, some brands claim to block UV but the "UV" we use is more like flames-on-a-racecar violet; it sounds cool to call it UV, and it's not technically wrong, but it's not the UV anyone's worried about stopping.

Glass is about 90% clear (non-starphire/Low-iron) and thickness has little-to-no impact at all until you get quite thick, here's a chart from advertised specs on a big-name company's technical-data sheet.135792794_Lighttransferthroughglass.thumb.png.14f6a38de9d0b64c921e3fbd42c60aca.png

You don't need as much light as you think, and most of the lights out there (unless mounted high) won't need to be cranked all-the-way-up anyway.

Here's a link in case you want entirely too much information <___>