Innovative Marine Aquariums

Will a Bullseye Pistol Shrimp pair with a yellow watchman goby?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone, yesterday I bought a bullseye Pistol Shrimp shrimp and I also have a yellow watchman goby. My question is will these to pair off?

1 hour ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone, yesterday I bought a bullseye Pistol Shrimp shrimp and I also have a yellow watchman goby. My question is will these to pair off?

Nope... they don't usually pair with gobies and may harm small fish or inverts. 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Will the small fish be okay?

With caution.. I would not say those guys are 100% safe.

• 1 month later...

Bullseyes are fairly aggressive pistol shrimp, and don't form symbiotic relationships with gobies. That doesn't mean they won't tolerate each other, though. Firefish don't form relationships with any pistol shrimp, but can occasionally be found living in shrimp burrows. The watchman may be trying to bond with the shrimp, and being ignored by it, which I suppose works.

That being said, bullseyes are potentially dangerous to small fish, including a goby they're briefly tolerating. They're not really good for tanks with small fish, as their snaps are powerful enough to stun, and they can then drag something into their burrow. You should probably rehome it and get a tiger pistol instead, those definitely bond with gobies and aren't known to kill fish.

• 2 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001

First pistol shrimp and has never harmed anything in the tank.

8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Live Aquaria seems to think they are safe except to other smaller shrimps.  Have you had one of these before and it took out your fish?