Mike Latimer

Fake sand bed

Mike Latimer

Just in the process of setting up a nano tank., 15 gallons. I am keen to go with a epoxy sand mix, I have read some good threads and have made a sample, which turned out quite well.

My question is, the sample I made I can blow through, should the sand be fully encapsulated?

Or some porosity okay

Matteo

I have no idea.

I am all for natural as I feel like our reefs do better with everything naturally as possible but that's just my style!

I would assume if you are going for a fake sand bed it;s basically the same as a bare bottom tank so idk if you would want it to be porous. Then again if it has porosity it could act like live rock? 

NO IDEA MATE I am just spoutin off haha 

• Like 1

Cencalfishguy56
5 hours ago, Matteo said:

I have no idea.

I am all for natural as I feel like our reefs do better with everything naturally as possible but that's just my style!

I would assume if you are going for a fake sand bed it;s basically the same as a bare bottom tank so idk if you would want it to be porous. Then again if it has porosity it could act like live rock? 

NO IDEA MATE I am just spoutin off haha 

+1 to this, I try to keep it natural as possible, only problem I can see with porosity is detritus getting caught causing potential ammonia bubbles or some other form of nutrient spike, I’m eager to research this more now lol