Coral Vue Hydros

Is anyone else unable to log into Bluefish Controller?

madadium

Bluefish has been seriously acting up lately and a week ago wasn't showing me graphs. Now I can't even log into the app. I get an "I/O failure" a few seconds after trying.

I reinstalled the app, cleared app data, and rebooted all affected devices. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I have seen the same as you.  Lack of graphs and now can't log in.  I'm beginning to wonder if having the control of my lights dependent on someone keeping a server running was a wise idea.

2 minutes ago, SJT said:

The lights keep going off now and the little LED in the controller flashes red.  LED goes blue and the lights come on when I disconnect and reconnect power but go off again a few minutes later.  Disappointing.

@SpencerShepard

Yes, it is. There have been a lot of people having issues since this past January/February at least.

Hopefully @DaveFason can chime in on this too. His lights depend on proper support for the Bluefish Controller. The app hasn't been updated in years.

I hate the feeling of having the health and safety of my reef dependent on a controller that doesn't seem to be supported anymore. One day it's just gonna crap out and all of us nanobox users are gonna be scrambling to save our investments.

Edit: it seems like some of you already have lights that can't be used because of this issue. This is terrifying!

• Like 2
mitten_reef
33 minutes ago, madadium said:

Hopefully @DaveFason can chime in on this too. His lights depend on proper support for the Bluefish Controller. The app hasn't been updated in years.

I hate the feeling of having the health and safety of my reef dependent on a controller that doesn't seem to be supported anymore. One day it's just gonna crap out and all of us nanobox users are gonna be scrambling to save our investments.

Edit: it seems like some of you already have lights that can't be used because of this issue. This is terrifying!

if it's BF specific, then you'd better off contacting bluefish.  https://aquarium-led-controller.com/support/  or   support@aquarium-led-controller.com

Like Kellie said, @SpencerShepard is great to work with, as far as acknowledging issues and fixing them.  Sometimes he just need us users to submit the issues/support ticket to make him aware of it.    

Kellie in CA
1 hour ago, madadium said:

Yup.  I try not to mess with my settings too much for this reason.  As long as it's working, I don't want to risk messing it up. 

I do have a backup Tide on a Storm controller in case of a full blown emergency, but it's certainly not going to light up the tank like the Duo does. 

I don't see a graph but haven't had any issues logging in or changing settings. If bluefish suddenly was no longer supported, I guess we go back to storm. 

I should mention I did email Bluefish support regarding the lack of graph last week and have not heard back. We shouldn't have to avoid playing with our nanobox settings to "avoid screwing things up". It should just work! 

After some initial issues with my lights Dave helped me out and they have been performing great. It'd be a shame to have the controller do them in! 

6 hours ago, madadium said:

THIS 👆. I Love my nanobox, but at this time, its concerning that Dave is taking an indefinite hiatus, and we (the end users) are left in a lurch with a product that is basically a collection of hardward (nanobox) and software (Bluefish).  If either of them no longer supports the end user, then what are we suppose to do?

Spencer is still supporting the Bluefish, and I appreciate his continued support.  However, what about the fixture itself?  There's no way to know if Dave will return.  As such, I'm contemplating a switch to more well known offerings.

-Jeff

• Like 1
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

THIS🖕. I Love my nanobox, but at this time, its concerning that Dave is taking an indefinite hiatus, and we (the end users) are left in a lurch with a product that is basically a collection of hardward (nanobox) and software (Bluefish).  If either of them no longer supports the end user, then what are we suppose to do?

Spencer is still supporting the Bluefish, and I appreciate his continued support.  However, what about the fixture itself?  There's no way to know if Dave will return.  As such, I'm contemplating a switch to more well known offerings.

-Jeff

I think you meant to use a pointing finger? 😅

• Haha 1
Simulated Fish
1 hour ago, jcreefer said:

THIS 👆. I Love my nanobox, but at this time, its concerning that Dave is taking an indefinite hiatus, and we (the end users) are left in a lurch with a product that is basically a collection of hardward (nanobox) and software (Bluefish).  If either of them no longer supports the end user, then what are we suppose to do?

-Jeff

Hold up dave is not making lights anymore?! i have been aways from the forum for awhile so this is news to me. source?

14 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Hold up dave is not making lights anymore?! 

Sorry, I am merely speculating based on numerous "Anyone being able to reach Nanobox/Dave" threads. My last communication with Dave was in mid April.  If you look on the official IG account, last NBR update was Feb 6, and on FB, he's more active in photography (last post June 7th).  I hope he is just taking a break from NBR and comes back to support this community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef

Officially, the online shop is closed for new fixture sales, parts seem to be available.  
CCDBB617-CE04-441E-94E0-F4951243F3CA.thumb.png.96a6ba428336c9f70ad93265deabb2f7.png

like many have expressed, a lot of concerns lately had been about the app (which also has some hardware component to it as well).  I have two fixtures, and bluefish module on one is completely dead. I can swap the bluefish from the other light to use and it’d be totally functional again, but basically I only have one controllable fixture at any given time.  Bluefish module can be replaced/upgraded, just not quite ready to invest in that yet til the app is a bit more stable. 

• Like 1
Simulated Fish
9 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Officially, the online shop is closed for new fixture sales, parts seem to be available.  

like many have expressed, a lot of concerns lately had been about the app (which also has some hardware component to it as well).  I have two fixtures, and bluefish module on one is completely dead. I can swap the bluefish from the other light to use and it’d be totally functional again, but basically I only have one controllable fixture at any given time.  Bluefish module can be replaced/upgraded, just not quite ready to invest in that yet til the app is a bit more stable. 

This is where I am at I sent dave an email today as my quad has been turning off and on a couple times a day even though it is not losing power or wifi connection. Not sure how to troubleshoot and who else would know what to do than dave?

mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

This is where I am at I sent dave an email today as my quad has been turning off and on a couple times a day even though it is not losing power or wifi connection. Not sure how to troubleshoot and who else would know what to do than dave?

@Matteo built his own nanobox hybrid, maybe he has some pointers he can share?  I’m rebuilding mine, but it’s very slow going with a 3-year old demanding all attentions in the house (read: haven’t even started after the tear down).  I think I remember replying to your thread recently.

• Haha 1