SaltCritters.com

[Help] What is on my tank glass?

Deisler

Hello,

My 60L tank is 5 months old. Have a few corals, two cleaner shrimps and two clownfish. All of them look ok. Weekly water change.

Used dry rock to start with.

Today I spotted some little white spots on my glass. They are almost everywhere (can only see them on glass), but tiny. The biggest is probably 1mm in size or less.

The big ones seem to have a distinct "arrow"-like shape. The small ones are just "dots".

I tried to compare them to the pics included in the ID thread, but cannot find any that looks the same.

Here is the pic. Appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers

Deisler

IMG_20200621_192400.jpg

10 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Are they soft or hard?

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.

It is hard to tell - they are too small to get a feel on their hardness....

I tried to use my finger to press and grind them against the glass. They then fell from the glass, but seem to be unaffected by the pressure....

So I guess that means they are kinda hard-ish?

Cheers

Deisler 

Pic is blurry but maybe spirorbid worms...harmless if so. The bottom one looks like one but not sure about the others.

Do they move? Flatworms are arrow shaped.

Thrassian Atoll

Yeah, I was thinking flatworms or baby snails.  Baby snails is out as they are pretty hard.  Almost looks like tiny asterina star fish that are still forming?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Pic is blurry but maybe spirorbid worms...harmless if so. The bottom one looks like one but not sure about the others.

Do they move? Flatworms are arrow shaped.

yes they move. But very slowly though. 

Mine does not look much like 'Spirorbid worm' as google images seem to suggest they have a 'spiral' looking. But maybe mine is still developing that?

Update - I was just trying to get a better picture. It is night now and after I turned light on, I realised my hair algae is basically covered by all these white spots. Geez it is actually quite scary to see so many of them all over the place.

They were not there during the day.....

And they do not seem to be found on any corals though.

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Possibility of baby snails? I had a whole bunch of baby snails that looked like white dots, but had more snail-like features if you looked really close. There were maybe 10 visible during the day and 100 at night. 

1 hour ago, Deisler said:

Update - I was just trying to get a better picture. It is night now and after I turned light on, I realised my hair algae is basically covered by all these white spots. Geez it is actually quite scary to see so many of them all over the place.

They were not there during the day.....

And they do not seem to be found on any corals though.

Certain flatworms eat algae, so they might be those in which case they are doing you a favor. Their numbers will just depend how much food there is to eat. 

Collonista snails and baby stomella snails would be other ideas, both harmless. 

• Like 2