Melfy77

another 12g ''not quite sure what kind'' reef tank

Melfy77

I've been keeping saltwater tanks for a few years, but it's always an exciting project to start a new one. I currently have a soft coral reef tank in my IM 25g lagoon, but for some reason I'm just not quite happy with it. I have 5 fish in it, including an ocellaris clownfish who became M. Mean a few weeks ago, so it has to go. Giving the fact that I like having a fish tank in my bedroom and currently don't have one, I thought ''hey there's a good excuse to set up another tank''!! I had a standard 10g in my basement so I grabbed it. However, since getting my lagoon, I've realized 2 things:

1) I LOVE shallow tanks and will not tolerate anything else

2) Rimless tanks are so good looking I cannot stand that plastic thingy around it.

So needless to say the ugly standard 10g tank went back in the basement.

I liked the 12g long from M. Aqua, however there was no way I could fit a 36 inches long tank in my bedroom, no matter the footprint. So while browsing the internet, I came across a seapora tank: 12g rimless tank; 24''x12''x10''. Its footprint reminds me of the lagoon, which I like. It was also 100$ cheaper than the Mr. Aqua 12g long.

So here's a list of what I have so far:

12g seapora rimless tank (24''x12''x10'')

2x Aquaknight v2 (those lights are 100$ and are pretty powerful, with 12x3W CREE leds)

IM wavelink desktop version

Marina S15 HOB filter

About 7-8lbs of marco dry rock

No sand, this tank will be barebottom

I was thinking of grabbing some smaller pieces of LR from my tank (it's a year old) to get that dry rock alive and make the cycle easier.

Now the plan:

My 1st thought was to turn the 12g into an anemone tank with 2 ocellaris clownfish and keep my reef tank as it is. Now however I much prefer the idea of setting up the reef tank in the 12g, put 2 fish from my lagoon and turn that 25g tank into a clownfish/anemone tank)

In the 12g tank, I would put my leather corals on one side of the tank. I would probably do a zoa garden, or RFA garden. On the other side of the tank, I would maybe try some easier SPS.

It's a slow process because we're having a heat wave and my body and mind are...well...much slower than usual lol

20200619_122950 (2).jpg

20200619_132136 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Melfy77

Clownfish is now in the 12g. Took some LR from my 25g so not worried about a cycle, and decided softies are gonna stay in the 25g. Now debating what to get for the 12g...another clownfish or a different fish...will also get a BTA at some point. 

20200624_204306.jpg

• Like 3

Diamonds x Pearls

Mini carpet anemones would look pretty cool too

Melfy77

Got a small RBTA, it's doing great, all bubbled up. But of course the night I got it, stupid fish jumped off the ship...ughhhh 

Might just get some sexies for the nem and get a totally different fish later on.

20200627_090122.jpg

Melfy77

Well change of plans (again lol). I wanted an "easy" saltwater tank. And considering that my kids love colorful fish tanks, decided to go a different route. Got rid of the BTA and LR. And turned the tank into a Finding Nemo tank lol. I'll probably get 2 ocellaris clownfish, some shrimp and snails and call it a day lol. I've got a glass lid coming with the clips since it's a rimless tank, don't wanna deal with more jumpers. I'll admit I like the look hehe 

20200628_120940.jpg

• Like 1

Melfy77

Well this happened....

My lagoon 25g was too much work for me, couldn't clean the back chambers properly and wanted a smaller reef, easier to manage, without the AIO.  So lagoon 25g became peninsula 12g lol. Have to admit that tank looks pretty cool. The glass is so clear, love it!! Transfer went really well, pistol shrimp and YWG lost each other, not sure where the shrimp is, if I don't see/hear it in a few weeks I'll get another one. Corals seem happy, RFA too.

I'm gonna get the 12" gooseneck for my AI prime, it'll look better. The lid should get here today.

I've put my other 10g in the living room with 2 clownfish in it.

As for the 25g, I will sell it real cheap. It will need a good cleanup for the back chambers but tank is still in good condition.

20200630_104819.jpg

20200630_104804.jpg

20200630_090451.jpg

• Like 1

mitten_reef

saw this tank at LFS, def tempted.  fun-size nano for sure.  

debbeach13

So now you have 2 12 gallon tanks. One for the kids and one reef for you. The kids are going to love the finding nemo tank.

Melfy77
17 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

So now you have 2 12 gallon tanks. One for the kids and one reef for you. The kids are going to love the finding nemo tank.

The Nemo tank is actually the 10g I already had. It's not rimless but I had everything, including the lid. I just transfered the 12g tank into the 10g one. 🙂It looks nice in the living room, and kids will love it for sure!!

• Like 1

jservedio

Man that's some whiplash - three entirely different scapes and sets of livestock in just four days. Hopefully this one sticks because it looks good!

• Like 1

Melfy77

Haha yeah that one is gonna stick!! I really like it! I just moved the zoa plugs in the front, they are now isolated on their little rock, don't want them taking over everything. Also the Candy cane pistol shrimp is alive, now the gobies just have to find it lol. Thankfully it's a small tank hahaha.

• Like 1

Melfy77
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

saw this tank at LFS, def tempted.  fun-size nano for sure.  

It's a great size!! Fits perfectly in my bedroom. Even though it's only 12g the dimensions make it look bigger IMO. And because it's 24×12, you still get many options for the rockscape and coral placement. 

• Like 2

jservedio
44 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Haha yeah that one is gonna stick!! I really like it! I just moved the zoa plugs in the front, they are now isolated on their little rock, don't want them taking over everything. Also the Candy cane pistol shrimp is alive, now the gobies just have to find it lol. Thankfully it's a small tank hahaha.

Good - I look forward to seeing it grow out! Glad you got rid of that RBTA and replaced it with the more sensible RFA, you would really hate your life in about a year if you kept the RBTA. Typical RBTA progression in a nano tank that isn't a species tank generally looks like this:

Month 1-6: Man, I really wish this tiny anemone would grow faster, my clowns look ridiculous in it!

Month 6-8: Wow, this anemone is absolutely amazing and starting to fill in, this is the best thing in the world and my clowns love it!

Month 8-10: Hmmm, I really hope it slows down growing, it looks amazing, but it's getting a little big...

Month 11: What the hell, why won't it stop growing? It's like a foot across, I thought they were supposed to split?!? Why won't it split?

Month 12: Man, I really miss having an anemone [as you pluck dead coral skeletons from your rockwork]

• Wow 1

Melfy77
3 hours ago, jservedio said:

Good - I look forward to seeing it grow out! Glad you got rid of that RBTA and replaced it with the more sensible RFA, you would really hate your life in about a year if you kept the RBTA. Typical RBTA progression in a nano tank that isn't a species tank generally looks like this:

Month 1-6: Man, I really wish this tiny anemone would grow faster, my clowns look ridiculous in it!

Month 6-8: Wow, this anemone is absolutely amazing and starting to fill in, this is the best thing in the world and my clowns love it!

Month 8-10: Hmmm, I really hope it slows down growing, it looks amazing, but it's getting a little big...

Month 11: What the hell, why won't it stop growing? It's like a foot across, I thought they were supposed to split?!? Why won't it split?

Month 12: Man, I really miss having an anemone [as you pluck dead coral skeletons from your rockwork]

Hahahaha that is so true!!! Story of our lives lol. Yeah that BTA thing wouldn't have worked, and the clownfish might not even go for it lol. I love RFA! I would get some sexy shrimp but they are know to have a taste for zoas...bummer 

Melfy77

Good news, the pistol shrimp and YWG are together again, busy building their new "house" lol. 

Part of me wants to try an easy sps to add some color to the tank, I was thinking a branching montipora, like an orange one? Apparently they are pretty hardy too. Any input?

• Like 2

Melfy77

Update: It's a softie tank!! No LPS and no SPS. I want/need a tank that fits me, my lifestyle. An easy going, low maintenance one. Looking good so far. I got the 12" gooseneck for my AI prime HD, and it's a perfect fit. No major shadowing. Also grabbed an aquaclear 50 from my parents and replaced the marina s15 (which is now on my clownfish tank). Currently running carbon and purigen, with filter floss (changed 2x/week). I was worried the heater from the lagoon would be too big, but nope, fits great. Glass lid is on, pretty happy with how it looks. The 25g is now in my closet, in need of a new owner lol, and my kitchen counter (where the tank was) is sooooo much bigger, so much room hahaha.

I've got my two YWG goby pair with their shrimp, my flametail blenny and my green chromis. I know it's a heavy bioload but all the fish get along really well and each have their place in the tank. I've had them for over a year and really like them. I guess nice thing with a 12g tank is how easy and quick waterchanges can be lol. That should help.

For corals and inverts so far I've got:

2 toadstool corals (1 frag and a bigger one)

Green cabbage leather (frag)

Some zoas (planning on getting more)

Gorgonian (forgot the specie)

Some mushroom

Pulsing xenia (on its own rock for easy control lol)

Rock flower anemones 

Snails and hermit crabs

I also got some dragon breath macroalgae.

20200705_115319.jpg

20200705_115345.jpg

20200705_115351.jpg

20200705_115402.jpg