Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adding live rock to a mature reef

stacyW

Hello all:)

My aim is to increase my biodiversity by adding some live rock to my mature reef (9 months old).  The tank is 60x45x45cm and is around 40 us g with around 20kg of dry rock which has now cured.  Presently, there is an outbreak of cyano in the display.  Otherwise, everything is going fine-ish at the moment.  The addition of the live rock is simply to provide are more stable ecosystem rather than provide added filtration.

Would my biological filtration be able to handle 2kg of Austrailian live rock in the sump?   My thoughts about this are that the bio-filtration should handle the corresponding spike in ammonia caused by this addition.  However, as always, it would be good for others advice on how i should implement this addition.

4 hours ago, stacyW said:

Hello all:)

My aim is to increase my biodiversity by adding some live rock to my mature reef (9 months old).  The tank is 60x45x45cm and is around 40 us g with around 20kg of dry rock which has now cured.  Presently, there is an outbreak of cyano in the display.  Otherwise, everything is going fine-ish at the moment.  The addition of the live rock is simply to provide are more stable ecosystem rather than provide added filtration.

Would my biological filtration be able to handle 2kg of Austrailian live rock in the sump?   My thoughts about this are that the bio-filtration should handle the corresponding spike in ammonia caused by this addition.  However, as always, it would be good for others advice on how i should implement this addition.

If its established fully cured liverock, there should be no spike/cycle.

If it's not fully cured, ya it can add significant amounts of ammonia.

The only way to know is by testing the rocks keeping them in a bucket of SW with heater and pump.

• Like 2

I think you can also trust your nose.   If the rock you're thinking of adding has ANY amount of "funk" to its smell, then no way should it go in without a test like Clown mentioned.

But if it smells like ocean, then best to get it into a suitable to tank immediately to prevent die-off.   (If your rock was shipped in water, take care not to expose it to air.)

• Like 1
On 6/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, Clown79 said:

If its established fully cured liverock, there should be no spike/cycle.

If it's not fully cured, ya it can add significant amounts of ammonia.

The only way to know is by testing the rocks keeping them in a bucket of SW with heater and pump.

OK thanks will do that.

• Like 1