ReefCleaners.org

Macroalgae FOWLR project

Alex_Salonica

Alex_Salonica

Hi,

for the last 30 years or so only had fresh water tanks but now we have new house so, new tank, new project! 

I got the green light to set up a tank in the living room so it's time after almost 10 years to make a macro tank.

The tank needs to be white?!(wife's rule) so i decided to go for the jewel rio 240(I will remove the internal filter), any other option(in white only) are welcome but it needs to be less than 149cm wide.

I'm thinking to be light livestocked without sump and skimer. I have started to gather all the equipment. Right now i have 

1.RO water filter 

2. Refractometer

3.  In line thermostat

4. External filter(eheim pro 4+ 350) pending.. I'm not sure yet for the model

5. Juwel rio 240 white - pending maybe i can find something else in white

what else?

Here we go again!

ky5x1irbl50_966b698d-389d-4d16-907d-9abcda52cae6_1024x1024@2x.jpg

• Like 1
Alex_Salonica
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

In white? and less than 150cm (59")

Red Sea Reefer 350

Waterbox 130.4

Are you in the UK? If so have a look at some of the 200L + tanks that might save you some money if you dont want a brand

Red Sea Reefer it's a wonderful tank but i forgot to mention that it needs to be less than a £1000(top of my budget).

Yes i'm in the UK. Where can i look for a budget -good looking- tank?

• Like 1
Alex_Salonica
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ebay, Gumtree for second hand and nearly new. 

Aqua One do some nice tanks, if you don't mind painting them white?

See if your LFS have an Ex Display model for sale

How about the one I’ve already choose? the Juwel rio 240 marine setup? Do you believe it's insufficient for the setup i want to do?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Alex_Salonica said:

How about the one I’ve already choose? the Juwel rio 240 marine setup? Do you believe it's insufficient for the setup i want to do?

I didnt realise they did a Marine version, I have just had a look and seems that you get two different bulbs (marine and blues) compared to the typical version (day and nature), I think the internal filter can still work, looks a lot like the Tunze Reef Pack filters, maybe add a Powerhead for additional flow? Or is that why you're adding a Cannister?

Alex_Salonica
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I didnt realise they did a Marine version, I have just had a look and seems that you get two different bulbs (marine and blues) compared to the typical version (day and nature), I think the internal filter can still work, looks a lot like the Tunze Reef Pack filters, maybe add a Powerhead for additional flow? Or is that why you're adding a Cannister?

I want to remove the internal filter for extra space but i don't like to see equipment in the tank. The idea of a canister filter is for a mechanical filtration, inline heater, and circulation pointing the outlet slightly upwards to provide good levels of surface agitation helping to maintain good oxygen exchange and driving off CO2. Of course we need more flow and I 'm thinking to add extra powerhead(s), we 'll se how it ll goes.  

• Like 1