Cultivated Reef

Reefer XL 300?

RozZy

I’m on my way to downgrade from a reefer 425xl into the new xl 300 but the cabinet is worrying me since there’s no divider between the sump and where the electronics will be.

now I’ve been eyeing the 250 as well but to be honest the dimensions of the display just doesn’t sell it to me like the 300 xl.

my questions is, will the non existing divider be a pain since there will be nothing from stopping the water to reach the electronics? Do I have to build the board myself? Doesn’t sound so plug n play anymore !

I’ve been eyeing the 300XL and the Waterbox 100.3 myself.  Both do not have a separate compartment for electronics though I’ve seen some folks just installed controllers, and power supplies on one of the walls.  Though majority of people have a separate “cabinet” next to their stand for the electronics.  The choice is up to you, but I would be weary of the humidity more than direct water splash if mounted in the sump area.

Jeff

On 6/18/2020 at 3:24 AM, jcreefer said:

I’ve been eyeing the 300XL and the Waterbox 100.3 myself.  Both do not have a separate compartment for electronics though I’ve seen some folks just installed controllers, and power supplies on one of the walls.  Though majority of people have a separate “cabinet” next to their stand for the electronics.  The choice is up to you, but I would be weary of the humidity more than direct water splash if mounted in the sump area.

Jeff

The humidity is what worries me as well and in case of accidental splashes.

having electronics so close to running water and pipes is what worries me mostly. It’s a perfect spot for ATO and installing a doser. 

But it’s like they’re forcing you to either build a wall or have a separate cabinet, which is not an option for me unfortunately.

It’s a lose lose proposition, if the sump is smaller, then you have more room for everything else.  But who wants a small sump.  And in Waterbox’s case, they shoved the biggest sump in the cabinet, leaving no room for anything else.

Pick your poison 🤪

-Jeff

On 6/20/2020 at 5:08 AM, jcreefer said:

It’s a lose lose proposition, if the sump is smaller, then you have more room for everything else.  But who wants a small sump.  And in Waterbox’s case, they shoved the biggest sump in the cabinet, leaving no room for anything else.

Pick your poison 🤪

-Jeff

Since I already have a lack of space in the room I guess smaller sump wins the battle of the shitty designs for tanks over 1000 dollars 😂