SaltCritters.com

Clownfish white spots (unsure if ich or not)?

reeferehab

A couple days ago I noticed a small white spot developing on my clownfish and didnt think much of it (dumb mistake). I was told that ich looks similar to a small white crystal stuck on the fish and the spots that developed on my clownfish dont resemble that. It looks more like a white or grayish discoloration of the scales. Is this ich or is it something else? 

I havent noticed any real change in behavior (no gasping for air, no erratic swimming, no decreased appetite). However, the last few days he has been hosting my octospawn coral a lot and has been rubbing up against it. Last night he even slept in the octospawn which was different from him normally hovering near the return nozzle at night. 

My parameters are all fine (No ammonia, nitrites, 5-10ppm nitrates, 450 cal, 8.6 dkH, 1330 mg, 1.026 salinity, 78-79 temperature and 7.8 pH) and I do weekly (sometimes 2 times a week) 2 gallon water changes and feed hikari pellets once a day or every other day. I also feed frozen mysis mixed with garlic once a week after my water change. 

my most recent addition to the tank was last week when I added some new corals including the octospawn hes been hosting, and a new bicolor blenny which has been fine and shows no sign of sickness. I dipped all my corals but I don’t QT my fish (which I also know is risky but I just don’t have the time, space or resources for a QT tank). 

anyway, I’m really confused as to what to do, please let me know what your thoughts are.

8E0CFD2C-D1B4-45CF-B35E-536FF466B859.jpeg

2C32E882-13FE-47B1-8EAD-B7A74D0160F4.jpeg

F6A4A7AC-1972-4F78-A3A8-F42752AB4A20.jpeg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

It could be getting stung by the Euphyllia. Dark spots should form if this is Clownfish Hyper-Melanizationhttps://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404301-clownfish-hyper-melanization/

I think thats it, overnight the spots on the one side are gone, and now he has a couple more spots on his other side. I’ll continue to monitor him in the meantime to make sure that its just the octospawn stinging him. In that case, I’ll start looking for some nems for him to host. Thanks!

• Like 1