Top Shelf Aquatics

29 Gallon reef tank

Arun

I do have 29 gallon tank running for 3 months. Added dry rocks and Fiji pink sand substrate. HOB filter as a media, with matrix, chemipure blue, phosban, poly filter pad. Lighting- Current orbit marine led.

I do have two clown and watchman goby. Recently I added soft corals to the tank. Before adding corals when I checked my parameters calcium was way too low around 300 PPM. I added seaChem calcification for calcium dosing. Later it went around 560 PPM. I did a water change to bring it down. Now it’s between 500-520 PPM aFter a water change. How could I bring it down further?

i do have B ionic 2 part dosing, how often should I dose my tank once the levels are back to normal? And how much should I?

0C76B853-7E8D-4B34-8828-EB26B33268DE.jpeg

mitten_reef

most tanks do not require dosing in its early stage, as the consumption can be easily be replenished by regular water change.  ca and alk is depleted mostly from stony corals absorbing them to grow skeleton, and minimally thru coralline algae growth.  if you have neither of those, the consumption would be even lower at this time.  your calcium shouldn't affect your softies nor fish, so you can wait til next water change to bring it down (assuming your new water has lower ca concentration).      

There are many topics dedicated to dosing.  the search function on here is a pain.  So you can google "nano-reef.com: dosing" (basically telling google to search for dosing on NR only), for much faster results.  

Why are the last 3 lines "wavy"?  and don't forget to share some pics... 🙂  

• Like 1

Added Zoa and Mushroom to the tank. added fire shrimp, but it’s hiding under the rocks as my clown pair go after him and fight with that guy. I know it’s the nature of clown, but how long it takes for them to consider the Fire shrimp as Their Tank mate?

2498BF9D-373D-42E0-B2CE-DFB1C730F7D3.jpeg

C00C9978-A221-4375-A574-79019A20F623.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My calcium and alkalinity remains 480 PPM and 9 DKH. I use to do 10% weekly water change.  Calcium and alkalinity never comes down. Do I need to dose regularly? I do ha birds nest, acan, torch, mushroom and soft corals

Your Ca and dKH are fine.  My guess is you are using Reef Crystals

No, those are not eggs

They are gas bubbles(oxygen) from the algae growing on the rocks

I always recommend dosing with fresh saltwater

But I also dose amino acids, bacteria, and Zeovit.  It's probably a placebo, but it keeps me calm, so I keep doing it

• Like 1

People on reefing forums love those things

I hate them

I got banned for life from Reef2Reef for posting an image of Elon Musk with his flamethrower in a bristleworm thread

I think they are disgusting.  And most things don't disgust me.