Top Shelf Aquatics

1 Gallon acro-portrait - Final tank shot

East1

Tank was beautiful! Sorry about the mishap 😞 That putty stuff will alter pH of a tank when it clouds 😞

I love the new purple/blue one. 

• Wow 1

Man that last Acro is abaolutely amazing !!! I'm happy to see things going back to normal for some corals. Sometimes it takes loses in order to completely learn a system. 

I can't wait for the next update. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Tank was beautiful! Sorry about the mishap 😞 That putty stuff will alter pH of a tank when it clouds 😞

I love the new purple/blue one. 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Man that last Acro is abaolutely amazing !!! I'm happy to see things going back to normal for some corals. Sometimes it takes loses in order to completely learn a system. 

I can't wait for the next update. 

this is a photo of that acro when it arrived, the colour change took about 6 days in the tank. 

921205820_WhatsAppImage2020-12-17at12_20_49.thumb.jpeg.049137de8ff4bc14a2cea2ca1840c12b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

I delayed writing this post for a few days, but I've had to break down this tank,

the tiny water volume, despite a small upgrade to 1.8 gallons, and a number of acropora colonies meant that keeping this stable required daily monitoring, and adjusting dosages of various elements. I was dosing large amounts of NO3 and PO4 because of how sterile the system is, and coupled with carbon dosing to balance this, maintaining minor elements was increasingly difficult and it felt like my acropora were on a razor edge. 

I learned a huge amount, how to maintain acropora, as well as the various signals of distress. This was all due to the tiny water volume, it was easy to cause a swing in something as low-density as Iodine and equally easy to do a water change to reset it. At some point I'd like to list out the various symptoms I noticed such as hyperplasia from cal/alk imbalances, neoplasia from extreme low levels of I when coupled with limiting macronutrients and similar. These became really useful in assessing coral health but sadly I didn't take enough photos - it hit the point where doing 5 tests for alk a day stopped being enjoyable. 

I'll definitely look at re-booting this, I had some good interest from a number of companies regarding getting sponsorship and running for a Guiness record, but I think it requires a high level of discipline maintaining a tank like this, and an even higher level of discipline when it comes to trying to add any and every acro I can think of! 

I think a project like this would do better as a side tank when I've got a more conventional setup running parallel, but I want to revisit it in the future. 

Here's the last FTS of the tank, and I'll be starting a new thread in the coming days for a new project I've been brainstorming. 

1630536260_WhatsAppImage2021-02-22at16_50_55.thumb.jpeg.d3dd3863c625a09d22f0368975b18859.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1