Jump to content
East1

1 Gallon acro-portrait - Final tank shot

Recommended Posts

East1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

So cool! Is that the skimmer there on the left?

 

It is! Here's a better pic. It's basically a cut up 24/40 lab glass nozzle with some tubing and a 24/40 test tube that it slots into, with the base cut. 

 

1562952945_WhatsAppImage2020-09-15at21_49_04.thumb.jpeg.b4e2500ada6c11b36c107441bc504c40.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
A.m.P

What an amazing thread, the effort you've put into those horticulture systems is really impressive, so, so much more-effort and forethought than the "see if it works" slacking I've done lol... What an awesome read, very sorry to hear about the dino's and the monti nudi's, probably two of the absolute worst possible organisms to find in a system...

Oh, and I love the PAR bulbs, people severely-underestimate just how much light they can put into a system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
East1
16 hours ago, Amphrites said:

What an amazing thread, the effort you've put into those horticulture systems is really impressive, so, so much more-effort and forethought than the "see if it works" slacking I've done lol... What an awesome read, very sorry to hear about the dino's and the monti nudi's, probably two of the absolute worst possible organisms to find in a system...

Oh, and I love the PAR bulbs, people severely-underestimate just how much light they can put into a system.

Thank you! The horticulture systems have really been a strong effort from me and it's good to see reliable results, especially with such a hands-off system! Though honestly the 'see if it works 'method is all I use, coupled with really intense obvservation and moderate-at-best record keeping.

 

It hink I'm glad for the dinos and nudis, made me really re-assess the system, Based on the size, like a tablespoon of gravel was enough to give a good pod population and not taht whole bowl of sand like I'd imagined. I think if it didn't have dinos and nudis it would have crashed a different way. 

 

I really like PAR bulbs, but these are actually MR16 LEDs, I think the photo makes the tank look bigger than it is but a PAR38 bulb wouldn't fit into the tank actually, or if it does, it would be a snug fit. I can practically pick up the tank one handed it's so small. I'll take a scale shot with something later today. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
East1

image.png.581b55c820db6d6d84b86570dffba61a.png

 

Got a few new corals, the tank is now at capacity I think. It's got 12 frags of Acroporidae and Pocilloporidae

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Tease! Are they on order or do you have them?

Share this post


Link to post
East1

I was planning on waiting for them to   stop sliming but popular demand prevails 

 

1889360052_WhatsAppImage2020-09-16at20_12_22.thumb.jpeg.748d7b1457d61fd48b85547ceee297b5.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

When they stop slimming you can take close up pictures and give us details. You know if you want to.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
East1

I have been meaning to get a macro lens for various things so I suspect you’re entirely right!!

12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

When they stop slimming you can take close up pictures and give us details. You know if you want to.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
East1

484308598_WhatsAppImage2020-09-16at22_41_22.thumb.jpeg.61a44a50c03cae080afaebfaa58d6292.jpeg

 

two weeks ago the cream pocillopora in the foreground was dark brown, it looks like it's going pink now 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
East1

1361690739_WhatsAppImage2020-09-20at14_24_55.thumb.jpeg.ff20cede0c3422621f07137f961a59e2.jpeg

 

When doing a 100% water change I realised the total water volume of this tank is actually 2.9 litres of water or .76 gallons with all the displacement now.

  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
21 hours ago, East1 said:

1361690739_WhatsAppImage2020-09-20at14_24_55.thumb.jpeg.ff20cede0c3422621f07137f961a59e2.jpeg

 

When doing a 100% water change I realised the total water volume of this tank is actually 2.9 litres of water or .76 gallons with all the displacement now.

Thats a lot of displacement, looking great as well too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
East1

Had a bit of an issue with fruit flies drowning in the tank and spiking PO4, so I built a second skimmer and incerased carbon dosing. Corals lost some colouration though, sadly. I've also added a goby in hopes of increasing nitrate a little, so I don't have to add KNO3  

Wo54K8C.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Looks great still though! Keep up the great work! 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Looks like a mad scientist experiment. In a good way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Show us the Goby

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
16 hours ago, East1 said:

Had a bit of an issue with fruit flies drowning in the tank and spiking PO4, so I built a second skimmer and incerased carbon dosing. Corals lost some colouration though, sadly. I've also added a goby in hopes of increasing nitrate a little, so I don't have to add KNO3  

Wo54K8C.png

Looks awesome! 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
East1

Thanks guys,

 

I'm really going for the unhinged scientist here so that's a huge compliment! 

20 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks like a mad scientist experiment. In a good way.

1583784540_WhatsAppImage2020-10-05at17_59.39(1).thumb.jpeg.456bb503339aec3979962da9f6dd0b74.jpeg

 

 

1512398222_WhatsAppImage2020-10-05at17_59_39.thumb.jpeg.21653635bf136f516642f3ee9de5abb6.jpeg

 

The corals still look a bit 'meh' to me, I think I might take the corals out and wash the whole tank, there's quite a lot of detritus, but I want to try do so while preserving the pods, which might prove difficult 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
East1
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Show us the Goby

here it is,my sister has named it jelly cus it is see through, and now calls it a jellyfish. 

20 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Looks great still though! Keep up the great work! 😎

😄 thank you!

6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks awesome! 😊

I'm really pleased, I just want the coral to bounce back now and I'll be happy again! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Those Gobies are really cute and active, loved it when mine used to wiggle up the front glass

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
A.m.P
21 minutes ago, East1 said:

The corals still look a bit 'meh' to me, I think I might take the corals out and wash the whole tank, there's quite a lot of detritus, but I want to try do so while preserving the pods, which might prove difficult 

Looking at the color of the bugout/rainbow stylo (which is actually quite good), I'm going to venture a guess and say it's a spectrum issue and that the corals just look that way under white light, you could try supplementing true-violet (430-380) in low-PAR strips and see if that brings their color and "pop" back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
East1
On 10/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, Amphrites said:

Looking at the color of the bugout/rainbow stylo (which is actually quite good), I'm going to venture a guess and say it's a spectrum issue and that the corals just look that way under white light, you could try supplementing true-violet (430-380) in low-PAR strips and see if that brings their color and "pop" back.

 

It's more a relative colour issue, relative to last week it's lost colour, but I think that's a compound side effect - as the flies that escape my frog vivariums would go and die in the tank, PO4 would spike, meaning I reduced dosing All for Reef to match alk consumption, however the reduction in AFR was also a reduction of carbon because of the high doses of calcium acetate, so there was overall less bacteria resulting in even more PO4 and NO3, browning everything out. 

 

I do really want to upgrade to a Prime HD or something similar, I think I found a deal on a second hand one. 

 

On 10/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Ratvan said:

Those Gobies are really cute and active, loved it when mine used to wiggle up the front glass

I really like mine! he was living out in t he front of the tank till I adjusted the flow today, hopefully he'll move back 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
East1
On 10/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, Amphrites said:

Looking at the color of the bugout/rainbow stylo (which is actually quite good), I'm going to venture a guess and say it's a spectrum issue and that the corals just look that way under white light, you could try supplementing true-violet (430-380) in low-PAR strips and see if that brings their color and "pop" back.

Mulling this over, I ended up pulling the trigger on a used Prime HD, so hopefully that should solve my coral colour issues 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
A.m.P
26 minutes ago, East1 said:

Mulling this over, I ended up pulling the trigger on a used Prime HD, so hopefully that should solve my coral colour issues 

Used are pretty solid, long as it's just a year or two old and well taken care of you're liable to have a solid light for a few years. (I was just thinking $50 in cheap UV-V unlensed-strips thrown into some mirrored channeling)

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty

That glass is awesome, seriously bravo 👏 

Share this post


Link to post
East1

 

3 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That glass is awesome, seriously bravo 👏 

Thanks! I'm really pleased with how this is turning out, I remembereven 9 months ago having SPS in something like this seemed like an impossible dream! 

 

 

11 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Used are pretty solid, long as it's just a year or two old and well taken care of you're liable to have a solid light for a few years. (I was just thinking $50 in cheap UV-V unlensed-strips thrown into some mirrored channeling)

yeah! my logic too, my old TOTM reef had 2 used radions on it that I had for about 3 years, and were running for about the same before I got them, great value for money I think. 

 

Initially I was tempted to DIY some lighting similar to this below pic on one of my plant creations, I've got a number of LEDs in various spectrums, was thinking warm, cool white and royal blue, violet and green with an all spectrum purple, but I really enjoy the ability to control these little remote LEDs and making a wifi control is more effort than I'm willing at the moment, so settled with a Prime.

 

 690707376_WhatsAppImage2020-10-08at08_58_36.thumb.jpeg.5b15864529cf07271a3aadcba570be9a.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...