Top Shelf Aquatics

Restarting the RSM 130D - FW Start Page 9

Ratvan

28 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I did not realize you were talking about the tank. I thought you meant the sand being dirty and letting it dry out. Now I am not sure if your talking about both. I think you tossed the and. I already had 2 cups of coffee early this morning. Maybe I need an iced coffee now.

Ah I see, no I dumped the sand. Very Stinky skip at work now lol. Will see how I feel about stuff when I get back

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 11:54 AM, Proxo said:

All the best dude 😘

Thanks mate, its not at all bad here

Anyways have been thinking about this tank, plus my apprentices have apparently been cleaning it out ready to get it up and running again. I think that I will go back to a reef with this, keep it really simple just a couple of clowns and some anemone's. Thinking BTA's 

Sandbed needed for Anemone's?

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Nah just a clown pair for the office methinks, but i can do BTA's in a barebottom? Cool

I meant a nem which prefers to have its' foot buried, but yeah lol you're solid with some older rock, decent feedings, good flow-light, the usual haha.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I meant a nem which prefers to have its' foot buried, but yeah lol you're solid with some older rock, decent feedings, good flow-light, the usual haha.

Ah with you, sorry was looking at my old pictures of the reef with the wrasses

• Like 1

The apprentices have been busy

IMG_20200916_130041.thumb.jpg.804335c7cd6bdd09a3fbbed0eb3795e5.jpg

I see they gave up with the sandbed removal, but they have been sending me photos of the floss and water change buckets. 

Also looks like they're playing with the ATO as well. Needs something to hang the Par38 bulb/bulbs over

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Isn't that so nice. Maybe it will be in pretty good shape when you back.

Thank yeah it is amazing of them, really nice to have such great staff. If they get that ATO to work they will get a raise, that thing has nearly gone through the window several times

As far as i can tell should just need salt adding to the RO water, we have had an RO filter added to works office water supply lately..... who signed that off no one knows 🤐

I haven't had the heart to tell about mixing salt water yet lol

Also slightly concerned with a low PH value from the tap since the RO addition, reading 6.4ph at highest, adding alt should fix this right or should i look to kalkwasser?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

6.4, would of got discus fish :D.
The substrate will raise the pH too though? My tap water is pretty soft, ain't tested it in years but it was around 6.8 and my reef is sitting at 8.1'ish last time i checked many moons ago (i should really get into testing water more). 

I'd see where it ends up sitting in the tank itself, might knock larger water changes on the head but i always found pH alts to be a ball ache. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Proxo said:

6.4, would of got discus fish :D.
The substrate will raise the pH too though? My tap water is pretty soft, ain't tested it in years but it was around 6.8 and my reef is sitting at 8.1'ish last time i checked many moons ago (i should really get into testing water more). 

I'd see where it ends up sitting in the tank itself, might knock larger water changes on the head but i always found pH alts to be a ball ache. 

The substrate is being removed, going for a bare bottom system this time around just easier to keep clean.

I will keep an eye on the PH once salt is added to the water. It should be linked to Alk? Should it not?

• Like 1

Yeah they're closely linked but i've no clue when it comes to scientific crap 😄 could explain my Alk swings, i'll have to follow this topic once somebody with brains walks in 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Proxo said:

Yeah they're closely linked but i've no clue when it comes to scientific crap 😄 could explain my Alk swings, i'll have to follow this topic once somebody with brains walks in 😄

I will get them to dump a load of salt in tomorrow (pre measured and tested obviously) and see what happens 

• Like 2

Well its nearly 2pm so that's close enough for me. I assume someone has purchased some bottled bacteria to help along the cycle (urgh) as I have been given NItrates, Nitrites and Ammonia readings (as well as PH, GH, KH) 

Ammonia 2ppm 

NO3 - 10ppm

NO2 - 5ppm

PH 7.6 (better still a little low for me) 

Might still have to look at adding Kalk into top off water

Apprentices have also fixed my ATO 😱

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Proxo said:

I think you jinxed me, my dKH is 7.6 according to this spanking new hanna tester but she only tests she can't make sandwhich 😞 

Sounds about right. 

Random Question, are Clarkii Clowns easy to find down your way do you know? All I can find are Common and Designer

8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Sounds about right. 

Random Question, are Clarkii Clowns easy to find down your way do you know? All I can find are Common and Designer

Ain't i up the way? 😄 I'm not sure if they're easy to find as i only go to one shop but they've had them in a few times.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Ain't i up the way? 😄 I'm not sure if they're easy to find as i only go to one shop but they've had them in a few times.

I cant remember where you are 😁

This time last year they were all I could find, now not a single one about unless I want to drive to Glasgow and back (no, gods no)

7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I cant remember where you are 😁

This time last year they were all I could find, now not a single one about unless I want to drive to Glasgow and back (no, gods no)

Carlisle, i'm always up the way 😄. I've just ordered my first ever fish from cellarmarine and it arrived perfectly fine - so fine it's already putting the royal gramma in its place.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Carlisle, i'm always up the way 😄. I've just ordered my first ever fish from cellarmarine and it arrived perfectly fine - so fine it's already putting the royal gramma in its place.

They only have a single Clarkii FFS

• Haha 1

The Clarkii and nem look cool mate! I see Clarkiis and tomato clowns in Maidenhead shops every now and again, but certainly not super common. Sounds like your apprentices are worth keeping!!!

• Like 2