ReefCleaners.org

Restarting the RSM 130D - FW Start Page 9

Ratvan

Hi All,

So, it has been decided that we are no longer going to be working from my current office, this means that I need to break down, drain, clean and transport the RSM to my current home. I am aware that the tank needs some TLC and also a complete restart. This time around I do plan on doing things differently. There are a couple of issues that I have with the tank which I believe contributed to the previous tank death (cleaner spraying Anti Bacterial, Anti Fungal and Insect Sprays without my knowledge), that I would like to address this time around. 

1. My Return Pump. Terrible pump and I wish I had spent a bit of money, instead of too much time trying to bodge the pump into working rather than buying something more suitable. I intend to purchase the "Upgrade Pump" from Red Sea themselves, this also comes with a plug to seal the spare hole in the dis play.R40344X555X498X.jpg.21a520e74561a5e6e6c645c53740cc0a.jpg
  2.  Heater, I could not find a suitable heater with a long enough cable for me to place horizontally in the rear chamber, as a result I had the heater in the main display and it really did annoy me, however having been shopping around for a few months I have found a 200W Heater, LCS Display and Internal Thermostat with a 3M (12FT) cable which would make life a lot easier.
  3. RODI water, since my LFS is shutting down, or rather scaling further back on Marine Livestock and Equipment, I think that I will have to suck it up and purchase a RODI Unit, I have my eye on a 4 Stage 75GPD unit at teh moment, comes with "A Years Supply" of DI resin, I am very tempted to try tap water but would rather not risk anything this time around
  4. The amount of plugs that the tank used, I want to try and keep the number of power sockets used to a minimum, the RSM has had the electronics gutted already so currently I will need, Return Pump, Heater, Lights, Controller for Lights, Powerhead, ATO. So 6 Sockets in total, unless I go without an ATO or additional POwerhead/Wavemaker and rely instead on the return only.
  5. Positioning of tank, I placed the tank directly against a wall as a result i was unable to access the rear chambers on any regular basis and was not able to clean out these areas. 
  6. Cover/Lid/Jump Guard, currently I am using Eggcrate as a cover for the tank, however this time around I plan on a more robust cover in the form of the Red Sea Jump Guards

So planned Hardware is as follows

Tank:                     Red Sea Max 130D

Light:                     168w LED Unit

Heat:                     200W Submersible Adjustable

Return:                 390GPH Stock Upgrade Pump

Flow:                     Jebao SW2 Powerhead***

First Tasks

1. Empty tank and cabinet and bring both home
  2. Clean Tank thoroughly
  3. Clean Cabinet thoroughly, replace hinges, drill access for cables and controllers
  4. Cut Shelf back within cabinet to allow room for storage on door
  5. Hook Up equipment
  6. Sort out ATO issue (possibly want a float switch rather than optical sensor)
  • Like 4
zanewolfgang

I recently started an old Red Sea 130 build myself. I pulled off the top rim to give it a little more modern look and made a mesh top. I also took the front portion of the original top and made a cover for the rear/filter area.

06-12-2020.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
Just now, debbeach13 said:

Wow. Are you now taking it home or are you back to work at the office? Good luck either way.  

Back to work in the office, I dont think I can manage to take it home just yet. Collarbone is still recovering, tried to shift the tank and felt something pop in and around my shoulder. Plus my lease is up in 4 months after the divorce so dont see a lot of point moving it twice. I'm going to start cleaning it up tonight, might place it for sale and see if I can get anything for it if not will probably transfer my FW from home into here

• Like 1

Well managed to mostly fill with tap water today, the chlorine and chloramines should kill off the random algae that's growing all over the tank, then need to scrape and clean out fully which I intend to hire a Shop Vac to be able to complete

IMG_20200812_090018_resized_20200812_090519774.jpg

IMG_20200812_090445_resized_20200812_090520194.jpg

IMG_20200812_090452_resized_20200812_090520547.jpg

• Like 3

Got some interesting Algae growth in here

Some Gracilaria 

IMG_20200813_095703_resized_20200813_095753280.thumb.jpg.d2eae3fdc8f0d2797de4b1b3ca971287.jpg

Bits of Cheato in the GHA

IMG_20200813_095714_resized_20200813_095753668.thumb.jpg.0d8c0477073a9ed255a293d9d2833a26.jpg

Interestingly since I have been adding tap water to this in an attempts to clean it my salinity is 1.021, considering that I did try and convert to freshwater before I was kicked out for lockdown I find this slightly odd. Maybe it was salinity issues that I had?

IMG_20200813_095724_resized_20200813_095754004.jpg

IMG_20200813_095732_resized_20200813_095754361.jpg

Water changed this morning, I forgot how much work water changes were on this tank. Anyway replaced roughly 50% of the volume, salinity is now down to 1.010 so brackish. It interesting to see both Fresh and Marine Algae growing still. Next week I want to move some of my Plants across from the home tank 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

It does look a lot cleaner.

Thanks, I keep wanting to set it up as a reef again, I got the rock (in the box next to tank) and on top of box. It was cycled but that evaporated off over the lockdown 😞

Sadly wont really be able to get that much for it unless i shell out far more ££££ than I want ordering from germany etc, so freshwater it is most likely

Even freshwater stock is rather poor at the moment here too so thinking transfer my 15G FW into here and shut down and sell of the 15

• Like 1
Just now, debbeach13 said:

Even certain fish foods are not always available. More and more it is buy something they have instead of what you wanted. 

Yeah I know the feeling, I have been after a Male Dwarf Gourami and a Bristlenose Catfish or Pleco for months now and nothing has come in and survived

The hobby has taken a real blow over here

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Seems you keep a guy in your tank, i personally just keep fish 😄.

Yeah bruv, that's me. I hate getting rained on so stay in the tank where its dry. 

Plants tomorrow if I remember 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1