Top Shelf Aquatics

Restarting the RSM 130D - FW Start Page 9

Ratvan

7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yuck! Sorry about the losses. I haven't had any thing fresh water in so long. It must be a whole different world now.

Well i decided that i would test my water to see what comes out, salinity was at 1.015 after i stirred all the crap in the rear sections. Oh well less can go wrong now. 

Also decision time again

1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Meaning? Maybe reef?

he might as well, he's already got the salinity 😄
- I wouldn't recommend using sand that can raise pH and hardness so much for freshwater, some freshwater will handle it but the 'nicer' fish wont 😞

It's usually fairly uncommon and slow process to have hydrogen sulfide produced lol.

Granted extraneous circumstances in both cases, but you've had it happen twice now, just a crazy bummer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

It's usually fairly uncommon and slow process to have hydrogen sulfide produced lol.

Granted extraneous circumstances in both cases, but you've had it happen twice now, just a crazy bummer.

I'm thinking it was most likely the 5 months of stagnant water, no water changes etc

• Like 1
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

You should wear a mask when playing with that sand. Or throw it out and get some new sand.

I should give up really. At least the sand is gone now, a little dirty but happy to leave it dry now for the month

Just now, debbeach13 said:

Should it be clean before drying it out?

Probably but no time. Little white vinegar, razorblade and elbow grease it'll be good as new. I find it easier to clean when fully dry. I was partially tempted to leave the sandbed to dry out naturally and hoover it out when i get back 

I did not realize you were talking about the tank. I thought you meant the sand being dirty and letting it dry out. Now I am not sure if your talking about both. I think you tossed the and. I already had 2 cups of coffee early this morning. Maybe I need an iced coffee now.

• Haha 2