Top Shelf Aquatics

ESP32 Reef Controller

nha272

So, I've had this esp32 sitting around for a while and I could never figure out a project to do with it. But, since I got back into the hobby and see all these reef controllers going for hundreds of dollars, it would be a perfect use for it. 

The esp32 is a $15 wifi-capable microcontroller which has become popular lately for its fast speeds and connectivity. I will be using arduino IDE with it for ease of programming, the learning curve for ESP-IDF seems a bit more complicated. 

The goal of this project will be to control temp, time lighting, ato, and possible dosing or something else later as the new tank progresses. Currently, I have only got as far as making a working thermometer, but more to come soon. Let me know if you have any more ideas that I could do with it, the esp is capable of outputting data to a web page, bluetooth, and has several GPIO for inputs.

Parts

- ESP32 LOLIN32 with OLED: The esp I have came with an embedded screen, which is perfect for this.

F60TlhU.jpg

- JBTek 4-Channel 5v Relay: This is what can turn on/off 120v AC current. 

VOCUs1L.jpg

- UNIROI Starter Kit: For $10 I got a breadboard, connectors and most of the components I needed for it.

bkGT57a.jpg

Sensors

-  DS18B20 Waterproof Temp Sensor: A very common temperature sensor. 

PKI2nqK.jpg

- More to come later, possibly: conductivity, pH, or may find a way to measure alk eventually.

Wiring

- I wired the DS18B20 as described here: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-ds18b20-temperature-arduino-ide/

Here is the diagram:

ds18b20_esp32_single_normal.png?ssl=1

Code

- The arduino sketch is here on GitHub: https://github.com/nhallen272/EspReef

The current digital thermometer working. Next, I will add the relay and code to function as a thermostat for the heater, as you can see its turned up a few degrees to help the cycle along.

GNO7FgH.jpg