ReefCleaners.org

Hello All from Wisconisn

Gill11

Hello guys,

Completely new to saltwater hobby, have had a couple of freshwater tanks for a while adn now that my kids are 11 and 12 I felt we could start this new chapter together. For now trying to learn all we can and reading up on all the science . Want to start simple but then build it up slowly so want a set up that can be upgraded with time . 

Thanks in advance for all the help , Im sure will be posting with more specific questions in the subforums as time goes on 

G

• Like 2

Welcome!   Just started a tank a couple of months ago.   I think you will find this a very friendly and helpful group.   Best of luck with the build...it was a lot of fun for me figuring out what I wanted to do  (...and still figuring it out)

15 hours ago, Gill11 said:

Hello guys,

Completely new to saltwater hobby, have had a couple of freshwater tanks for a while adn now that my kids are 11 and 12 I felt we could start this new chapter together. For now trying to learn all we can and reading up on all the science . Want to start simple but then build it up slowly so want a set up that can be upgraded with time . 

Thanks in advance for all the help , Im sure will be posting with more specific questions in the subforums as time goes on 

G

:welcome:

On 6/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, Gill11 said:

Hello guys,

G

Hello! I am in Wisconsin too 🙂 Where abouts you located?

milwaukee, what are the good local stores in the area , I dont mind driving a bit to go to a good quality trustworthy fish store and support them . 

G

1 hour ago, Gill11 said:

milwaukee, what are the good local stores in the area , I dont mind driving a bit to go to a good quality trustworthy fish store and support them . 

G

Best Fish has the best prices and selection. This my go-to favorite store. Nothing is quarantined or such so be sure to pick healthy fish and ask them to be fed... but almost all my fish are from there. They get a good coral selection too. They have a link to an Excell spreadsheet on there Facebook or website to check what is in stock.

Covid has made selection lower but they have a good link to suppliers so they still get in a variety. 

Watch for sales on holidays to snag salt really cheap (it is already cheap but REALLY cheap) and usually 15 percent off fish and corals during major holidays. Black Friday sales are crazy sometimes... 

I have also gotten a couple fish from America Aquaria. No complaints...friendly people. Haven't bought coral here but they have a frag tank.

Wet Dream Aquatics is a other I visit sometimes but a bit of a drive. They hold their fish back 1 week in tanks in the back before putting them up for sale to make sure they are eating and appear healthy and treat any disease that shows up in that week. Not long enough for a real QT but helps to make sure you get a fish that is eating.

Aquatics Unlimited - this store is large and freshwater too...I drop in sometimes when I can't find something specific to see if they have it. They sometimes have fair pricing on frags. The fish are way more expensive than others so I don't buy fish here. They announced they now QT fish as well.

Easy Aqua Fish and Coral - he has a 10 dollar? frag system I was able to get some nice zoas out of. I haven't visited since covid so not sure how hard he was hit for selection now. Haven't bought fish here.

Milwaukee Aquatics -  I have never bought livestock here but he was able to order a tank for me cheaper then anyone else in the area.

Punisher corals - they run a business out of their house. You can buy online and swing by and pick it up. They are in Menomonee Falls area. https://punishercorals.com/

Boom Corals - Same deal... You can order online and then arrange pick up at his house. Super nice guy with an absolutely amazing display tank. He also goes under the name Lakeside Reef https://boomcorals.com/

I am in the Wauwstosa area if you want a free toadstool or zoas or such to get you started.

Thank you very much , I appreciate this. Am going to first write up all that im going to need and also probably set up a quarantine tank with an old 14G freshwater tank I have . I seem to recall on one the videos on youttube about a cheap LED light called "Aquaknight" by hipagera or some such company that was for $60..

• Like 1
DemonUnleashed

Best fish is my favorite store to go to. Every once in a while I go to the feed bag in Mequon. Usually when I’m on my way home from the in-laws. I’m in New Berlin. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, DemonUnleashed said:

Best fish is my favorite store to go to. Every once in a while I go to the feed bag in Mequon. Usually when I’m on my way home from the in-laws. I’m in New Berlin. 

Ahh ya I forgot about the feed bag. I heard good things but haven't been there yet.