Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Fool's 1.5g Tidepool Pico

TheRope

8 hours ago, BoxedReef said:

Really like this. If you could add some kind of top off (gravity?) I feel like you’d have a complete system - or will the system tolerate salinity swings?

I was going to add one but before I spent 200$ on the micro ato system I wanted to test how much evap actually occured and I wanted to see if I could keep up my manual top offs. It evaporates a looooot slower than I imagined it would... But in the winter with heating it might change, so ill see how it goes 🙂

• Like 1
8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have no idea but I like guessing so zoanthids and GSP.

Close! Here they are, mushroom still acclimating I gave him a harsh dip there were flatworms on his frag. Palys were fragged live at the shop and were gooping palytoxin everywhere, concequently that killed my lepto but shit happens I guess XD

received_2314892315474358-01.jpeg

received_265191401221384-01.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

I think I made an error adding the mushroom before the palys settled in properly... The palys basically killed everyrhing again XD gonna be smarter next time and wait for them to be fully settled

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
21 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So they hacked the Palys off and gave them to you freshly cut in a bag?

Yup, little update too... Everything is dead meanwhile my palys look like this 😂😂 I learned something tho in picos it doesnt just matter what you put in the tanknbut it also matters when, if I would have put the palys in first let them settle in waited a week to add the mush I would have been fine. So my new plan is to add the palys that I want first then finish off a month or so later with other coral types.

For other corals I was thinking of firework cloves+ rhodactis mushroom (attempt 2)

received_869068266923201-01.jpeg

• Like 3

That is why I hate those paly's. A regular zoanthid never would have done that. I had purple deaths and they nuked a few close by frags,so they got throw in the trash. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is why I hate those paly's. A regular zoanthid never would have done that. I had purple deaths and they nuked a few close by frags,so they got throw in the trash. 

I love em for it 😍 theyre my favorite coral for some reason 

• Like 1
cheesesteak

This is an awesome concept, I love it. And those palys are amazing even if they're deadly!

Quick question - are you worried about the lack of mechanical and chemical filtration at all? I like how clean this looks, and am thinking about setting up my UNS 25c in a similar way, but am worried about not having any filtration. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, TheRope said:

Yup, little update too... Everything is dead meanwhile my palys look like this 😂😂 I learned something tho in picos it doesnt just matter what you put in the tanknbut it also matters when, if I would have put the palys in first let them settle in waited a week to add the mush I would have been fine. So my new plan is to add the palys that I want first then finish off a month or so later with other coral types.

For other corals I was thinking of firework cloves+ rhodactis mushroom (attempt 2)

received_869068266923201-01.jpeg

Sorry to hear that! But freshly cut palys are probably the root of the issue.

I learned early on in this hobby to only buy frags that have a bit of heal time. Plus, it's important to take precautions when fragging palys/zoas due to the toxins they release; it's potent and can pose a real danger to people and pets. Hope they at least gave you a heads up!

Excited to see the concept take form on this build!

6 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

This is an awesome concept, I love it. And those palys are amazing even if they're deadly!

Quick question - are you worried about the lack of mechanical and chemical filtration at all? I like how clean this looks, and am thinking about setting up my UNS 25c in a similar way, but am worried about not having any filtration. 

Thanks!! No I'm not worried at all if you go to my other thread you'll see that i never use mechanical filtration, even if I do have a filter theres usually just live rock in it. The reason we can get away with no much filtration and relying only on the natural filtration provided by bacteria and macro algae / mangroves is because corals have a nehative bioload, they literally consume nitrates. So unless you add too much fish you should have 0 problems! (The least amount of fish the better)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Break said:

Sorry to hear that! But freshly cut palys are probably the root of the issue.

I learned early on in this hobby to only buy frags that have a bit of heal time. Plus, it's important to take precautions when fragging palys/zoas due to the toxins they release; it's potent and can pose a real danger to people and pets. Hope they at least gave you a heads up!

Excited to see the concept take form on this build!

Yeah i was well aware i really wanted that frag tho 😅 learnt my lesson, theyre doing fantastic tho! They have a whole bowl to themselves for the moment. Currently looking for red death pals/nuclear death palys/captain America plays

• Like 2
cheesesteak
9 hours ago, TheRope said:

Thanks!! No I'm not worried at all if you go to my other thread you'll see that i never use mechanical filtration, even if I do have a filter theres usually just live rock in it. The reason we can get away with no much filtration and relying only on the natural filtration provided by bacteria and macro algae / mangroves is because corals have a nehative bioload, they literally consume nitrates. So unless you add too much fish you should have 0 problems! (The least amount of fish the better)

I was today years old when I learned corals CONSUME nitrates 🥴

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

I was today years old when I learned corals CONSUME nitrates 🥴

Hahaha well thats why they always say you need to have trace amounts, some people use xenia in their sumps because apparently they consume the most..

• Like 1

Alright so i picked up a couple of frags for the tidepool. A small frag of cloves and multiple palys. In the picture below you'll see the pastel green ones I picked up and right next to it a comoletely closed frag (of the same pastel green ones) i purchased two palys frags from one shop and they werent opening and I went to another shop later that week and got the same type just out of curiosity. They opened within hours, meanwhile the other has been closed for about 3 days now. I dont think its the health of the coral, it might just be the similarity in water parameters but I think based on that I will be visiting the second shop for the rest of my corals for this tank 🙂

received_717841769053453-01.jpeg

received_3266597550073307-01.jpeg

• Like 2
cheesesteak

Those new plays are awesome! They have great color. Hopefully the other frag opens up soon. I would guess its either the water or the lighting they just need to adjust to. 

How do you like the light (Asta 20?)? I'm thinking of one for my 9" cube. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

Those new plays are awesome! They have great color. Hopefully the other frag opens up soon. I would guess its either the water or the lighting they just need to adjust to. 

How do you like the light (Asta 20?)? I'm thinking of one for my 9" cube. 

So far its good! Kinda annoying with the whole color thing (I'm used to the par 38 single color bulb) but so far its kept my lps alive in the past and the palys look great for now so for the price id say its a great light for picos! 

Also yeah I was discussing with some friends, they believe its probably a lighting issie... Only time can fix that one 

• Like 1