SaltCritters.com

The Fool's 1.5g Tidepool Pico

TheRope

59 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Trying outnsome drout resistant succulents since thr air plants didnt work, sincerely doubt this will work either.. Mangrove looking happy tho

received_306659487418136.jpeg

received_2347586728699976.jpeg

I always find air plants to be finicky. I think the succulents look better anyhow!

Loving the selection of zoas/palys - you must have some decent local shops in your area!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Break said:

I always find air plants to be finicky. I think the succulents look better anyhow!

Loving the selection of zoas/palys - you must have some decent local shops in your area!

Yeah we have aome really nice shops around here, I mostly get stuff from people i know!

5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'd recommend salt-tolerant succulents like barrel cacti, Batis maritima, strand asters, or something like Oenanthe fistulosa.

Wow I didnt even know salt resistant plants existed.. That will be the next option I actually love how the batis maritima looks, that might be the perfect plant...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheRope said:

Wow I didnt even know salt resistant plants existed.. That will be the next option I actually love how the batis maritima looks, that might be the perfect plant...

Native to east coast swamplands, pretty to boot, it's a shame the swamp lilly's don't have the same tolerance.

Glad I could help ^^

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Break said:

The only reason everyone airplants die is because of the watering misconceptions, you dint spray them, you have to soak them in a glass of declorinated water for 12-24 hours once a week, I have a few airplants that are 2 and 1/2 years old using that method 🙂

5 hours ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

The only reason everyone airplants die is because of the watering misconceptions, you dint spray them, you have to soak them in a glass of declorinated water for 12-24 hours once a week, I have a few airplants that are 2 and 1/2 years old using that method 🙂

I was doing exactly that, misting every morning hours before lights came on and then id soak em at the end of the week, they all dried out. Meanwhile the ones I have over my micro pond I never spray never soak are doing amazing... Im thinking it was a little too salty for them.. Or the light was too direct on them not sure

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ffoott said:

It's turning out great!

Sadly, I cant, for the life of me, find one of these vases for sale in Europe.

I'm sure if you go to a random home improvement store of sorts you can find something, I was thinking of even doing it in a round shallow glass bowl before I found this one! , maybe that would be something you can try?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TheRope said:

I was doing exactly that, misting every morning hours before lights came on and then id soak em at the end of the week, they all dried out. Meanwhile the ones I have over my micro pond I never spray never soak are doing amazing... Im thinking it was a little too salty for them.. Or the light was too direct on them not sure

The lighting could have definitely been too high, epiphytes are typically found under tree canopies I think. 

The aquatic stuff is looking great though! 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

The lighting could have definitely been too high, epiphytes are typically found under tree canopies I think. 

The aquatic stuff is looking great though! 

I think that was is, and at the time I disnt have the stand raised up, so it probably scorched em... 

9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What’s the bright yellow/orange zoa on the right side of the pool?? 🤩

I think theyre called yellow canaries, but i payed nowhere near the price of yellow canaries... 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, TheRope said:

I would guess if you were doing that then it was too salty for them 🙂

26 minutes ago, TheRope said:

I'm not day in Pico reefs are acro safe but look at that polyp extension!

received_642544769703270-02.jpeg

received_320268682658066-01.jpeg

How long has it been there? 

PS: Found a grat acrylic container and will be starting what is clearly a copycat version of yours early next week 😁 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ffoott said:

How long has it been there? 

PS: Found a grat acrylic container and will be starting what is clearly a copycat version of yours early next week 😁 

So far its been 1.5 weeks theyre in here haha and awesome cant wait to see What you do with it! 

6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Spaghetti worms,a good part of the clean up crew. They can gather in huge balls too,its so weird. 

Not talking about the spaghetti worm, the spaghetti worms are masses of tentacles I have many. I'm talking about thr skinny ropelike bristle worm with the many long spikes pulling the pellet

• Like 1
On 8/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, TheRope said:

So far its been 1.5 weeks theyre in here haha and awesome cant wait to see What you do with it! 

I've recieved my mangroove thing today! How did you go about "planting" it?

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, ffoott said:

I've recieved my mangroove thing today! How did you go about "planting" it?

I placed it then covered it with sand and wedged a couple of broken pieces of dry rock next to it to keep ot upright 

• Like 1