Pod Your Reef

The Fool's 1.5g Tidepool Pico

TheRope

31 minutes ago, TheRope said:

So far nothing! I tend when I top off wateri pour it over the rocks

You have my brain thinking of a new project!! 🤣

• Haha 1

Updatttte I had to et rid od the big palys they were unhappy and constantly leaching, but in turn I added two new little additions.

One ive been searching for forever (hes eating a pellet) and the other are captain america palythoa! 

received_701217950435928-01.jpeg

received_1173118709687283-02.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
cheesesteak

Sorry about the big palys. The captain America look neat though! Can't wait to see those fill in on the plug. Is that a duncan with the pellet? 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Sorry about the big palys. The captain America look neat though! Can't wait to see those fill in on the plug. Is that a duncan with the pellet? 

That my friend is a majano anemone! Theyre considered a pest but these were bright green, ive always wanted them

• Like 5
cheesesteak
2 minutes ago, TheRope said:

That my friend is a majano anemone! Theyre considered a pest but these were bright green, ive always wanted them

One man's pest is another man's pet 😄 it looks cool! Will it move on its own or do they usually stay put? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

One man's pest is another man's pet 😄 it looks cool! Will it move on its own or do they usually stay put? 

I honestly have no clue, I've never had one so I dont know theyre behaviour. I will definitely update tho! I have 2 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
cheesesteak
5 hours ago, TheRope said:

received_701217950435928-01.jpeg

I can't get over how it looks like he's holding the pellet with his little hands, like some sort of alien toddler. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

I can't get over how it looks like he's holding the pellet with his little hands, like some sort of alien toddler. 

That particular pellet got stolen by a spaghetti worm I had to give him another! 

Speaking of spaghetti worms..

• Like 3

As far as pest nems go, majano are way cuter than aiptasia!

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I forget are they considered good? I remember one member removing them but not why.

They are generally nothing to worry about (had a ton of them in my pico without issue before), but I have read about a few cases where a population boom caused an issue.

Similar to other "detritivores" like bristle worms, amphipods, and asterina stars, they can be productive CUC members, but can also become problematic if their numbers get out of control.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I forget are they considered good? I remember one member removing them but not why.

Personally I love them, I even feed them pellets. The only time they get annoying is when theyre searching too much for food and start touching your zoas too much they might close a polyp or 2 but nothing detrimental 🙂

• Like 1

And I completely agree with that! Muuuuuuuch cuter than aiptasia!!! I still find aiptasia interesting though, I might want to try an aiptasia reef one day!

Also heres a quick update

I removed the large paly colony as they were leeching too much toxin it was actually affecting the other zoas, since then even the little colony that never opened before has begun opening. Ive also been dosing a couple of drops of fuel daily to add aminos and something for the polyps to filter feed off of 🙂

• Like 3

Little video update on the polyps, the true palys have discolored quite a bit but they polyps are still healthy, the rest are doing fantastic! Ill be picking up some more short tentacled zoanthids soon 🙂 currently trying to come up with an invert mascot idea... or just stick to my spaghetti worms XD 

ALSO i had moved the majano nems to the center of the sand bed and one morning I found the larger nem plastered to the middle of the glass then when I came home from work he was in his original spot (which is where I placed the discolored palys) and he decided to plop himself eight back there again (in the middle of them all) maybe its like an animal who remembers where the food was, I was feeding him pellets every other day in that spot and when I moved him I stopped feeding pellets , now hes back... So I rewarded him with a pellet...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cheesesteak said:

Sounds like you've trained the nem to come! Next up, sit & stay. 

What about a pom pom crab for a mascot? 

Unfortunately after my last pom pom I dont think I'm going for another of those, I want to try something new I wqs thinking maybe a porcelain or maube a pistol shrimp?

4 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

A porcelain would be neat! It would definitely add some additional zen. 

Heres a pic of my old porcelain i loved him he was killed by my old pom pom 

20190320_180858-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am sorry to hear that you had an evil pom pom.  I had one and it was a model citizen.  I was sad when it disappeared.  It seems like they are either great or little terrors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wingy said:

I am sorry to hear that you had an evil pom pom.  I had one and it was a model citizen.  I was sad when it disappeared.  It seems like they are either great or little terrors.

Mine had eaten around 120-160$ in inverts and fish still super cool though, she survived a crash I had but her nems disnt and then she stole a ball anemone for about a month (second pic) 

And firet pic is when she decided that hammer coral polyps were anemones

received_2065620253732013-01.jpeg

received_838468469856554-01-01.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Hello,

I was just about to start a reef jar, but this got me rethinking my lifes choices 😄

How do you fell about it - happy you went in that direction? What challenges have you faced? How much water does it take? Is a regular led good for the mangroove?

Thank you!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, ffoott said:

Hello,

I was just about to start a reef jar, but this got me rethinking my lifes choices 😄

How do you fell about it - happy you went in that direction? What challenges have you faced? How much water does it take? Is a regular led good for the mangroove?

Thank you!

So far the only choice I kinda regretted is not starting with live rock, but starting with dry rock let me make a pretty cool scape so that cancels out. 

The problem you may run into is coral limitation, I have about 1.5 gallons of water in here (maybe less) and in height that gives me about 2 - 2.5 inches of space on the sandbed and an inch to half an inch on the rocks so that limits the corals you can add due to height, most corals exceed 2 inches in height 😕

secondly is you need hardy corals that wont mind salinity swings (unless you add an ato, which is not necessary jar reefs due to having a lid)