Coral Vue Hydros

EMERGENCY!!!! ICH OR VELVET?

Dawson_hatton

Dawson_hatton

indeed. today the velvet appears to have mostly fallen off after being the biggest and at it’s worse point early this morning, but the peroxide killed off my coral and most likely my healthy live rock, and all my sea urchins causing an ammonia spike. I moved the clown to the quarantine bucket since he’s most susceptible but did a fw dip first. still swimming in the filter current and not eating or showing much interest in food but does seem more active. occasionally he’ll show interest in food but doesn’t commit. the cupramine I ordered should be here in a couple days maybe a little longer. I plan on moving all my LR to my 20 gallon after I order some more salt mix and cycling that out while I quarantine everything. basically i’m in a huge pickle and because of this velvet, and my ignorance to quarantine, my whole entire system completely got destroyed. hopefully my fish survive the quarantine, luckily my fish are hardy buggers.

16 hours ago, Dawson_hatton said:

update, lots of mucus buildup on the clown, the peroxide appears to have killed off my zoas but not my anemone, the clown showed a little interest in food today which is a little improvement but still wouldn’t eat. really hoping he’ll make it by the time I get the cupramine.

If you have a UV, running that while dosing peroxide increases efficacy.

Dawson_hatton

sadly I don’t have one. I’m afraid I’ve restarted the cycle of my tank since the peroxide killed everything off. fish and inverts are basically the only thing alive 😕 

How much peroxide did you dose that it killed stuff? I have done as much as 1ml per gallon for pest algae before but did notice stress of some nems after 3 days so I stopped.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

How much peroxide did you dose that it killed stuff? I have done as much as 1ml per gallon for pest algae before but did notice stress of some nems after 3 days so I stopped.

Ya me too with no ill effects

Dawson_hatton

I dosed a pretty high amount. knowing peroxide usually breaks down pretty fast I thought it would be out of the water pretty fast anyway so I dosed high. it sucks but it’s fine. some of my zoas survived. I’m starting fresh with a 20 and i’m going to qt my fish for the time being.

Dawson_hatton

Update: after doing the fw dip and putting the fish in quarantine in disease free water he’s completely recovered from what it seems. He’s eating again and being very interactive, after what seemed to be the worst this morning (he was absolutely covered). I’m feeding him as much as possible to boost his immune system if it comes back before I get my copper treatment, however I did notice my ammonia levels rose this morning, still below a harmful levels but I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse 

Dawson_hatton

I added sponge from my established tank and did a water change. spike went down overnight. fish all acting healthy. based on timeline what do you think the parasite is? it infest the fish and then falls off anywhere from 2-3 days later? some spots look bigger than velvet but the amount looks more like velvet?

6 hours ago, Dawson_hatton said:

I added sponge from my established tank and did a water change. spike went down overnight. fish all acting healthy. based on timeline what do you think the parasite is? it infest the fish and then falls off anywhere from 2-3 days later? some spots look bigger than velvet but the amount looks more like velvet?

Ich trophonts will usually feed for a minimum of 3 days before dropping off. Anything less than that suggests velvet.

When you see the spots, can you count them or too numerous to count??

Dawson_hatton

well it’s weird, some are like noticeably bigger than velvet, but there was quite a bit. I forget what it looked like exactly cuz the last time any fish had symptoms was around 4 days ago. I do remember that my clown was shedding his slime coat. I do remember though that in the blue lighting, the spots really stood out and there was tons at one point, but it still didn’t look like dusting. but the main reason i’m still questioning what it is is because the chromis still hasn’t shown a single symptom, any other fish I had before that had it didn’t seem to care much, and my clown, although he showed the worst symptoms, recovered fine both times and is still completely fine in same quarantine he had spots in with no treatment. I know velvet is generally a swift killer and doesn’t usually offer weeks of time without any real losses, but I guess it could be possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Dawson_hatton

sorry this reply is so late I know the thread is pretty old now, but since the symptoms went away the second time there’s been no problems at all. I moved everyone back into my newer 20 gallon display and all the fish are doing great. not sure if the H202 worked or what but there’s no signs of disease.

• Like 2