Coinee

My Exotic Water Garden (IM Nuvo 10 AIO)

Coinee

It's been about almost a year since I last had a tank. After some bad news with the company I worked for, I decided to move across Canada and I'm ready to start a new tank. This time I am also going to do my own RODI water instead of using distilled water. 

Before all my past tanks were relatively simple with no filter; just corals and snails. I wanted to change this and start with a nice little AIO tank because they look great and I wanted to keep something more complicated than a snail. 

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 AIO 

Filtration: Standard AIO stuff here

Lighting: Aqua Illumination Prime 16HD

Heater: 100W Eheim Heater

Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro

Sand: CaribSea Fiji Pink Sand

IMG-20200607-WA0050.jpeg

Tank is currently sitting in leak testing, but I found the pump elbow connector has a hairline crack in it, so I have to wait for a replacement connector. 

My plans are to get some liverock to seed it so I can get up and going quickly. I'd some nice colourful zoas but beyond that, there are not many plans for this tank yet, I'm going to fly by the seat of my pants. 

Corals

Finger leather frag

Toadstool frag (has been pissed off and is showing no polyps)

Hairy Mushroom

Orange and blue rhodactis

Few frags of mystery zoas (Green skirt, black/purple face and green mouth) Maybe Purple People Eaters?

Sunny D frag (???)

Eagle Eye frag

Rasta frag (only one polyp since the super glue ended up killing the other two polyps)

Blue hornet frag

GSP with white dot

GSP without white dot

• Like 1

Elizabeth94

Great tank to start with. I had an IM10 that I loved. You’ll likely save yourself a lot of headaches once you start getting corals in there by using rodi. Hope you keep up the updates:)

Leoito

Are you planning on all live rock, or dry rock seeded with live rock?
Any plans for topping off with RODI water? (manual, ATO, gravity fed, etc.) 

P.S. I've heard some good things about the AI Prime 16HD; looking forward to see how it runs from the get-go. 

Coinee
21 minutes ago, Leoito said:

Are you planning on all live rock, or dry rock seeded with live rock?
Any plans for topping off with RODI water? (manual, ATO, gravity fed, etc.) 

P.S. I've heard some good things about the AI Prime 16HD; looking forward to see how it runs from the get-go. 

Planning on getting one or two pieces of live rock to seed and then use some dry rock. I will be the ATO for a little while until I figure out what I want to do for one after I figure out how fast it evaporates. 

We will see how the AI Prime 16HD works, it's my first time with a light that's not super budget so it'll be cool to play with.

• Like 1

Coinee

Got the prime on the tank now. It looks pretty nice, I like it (ignore the cable mess, I'm just messing with the tank at the moment before I clean up).

20200616_205620.jpg

• Like 2

Coinee

I got my liverock in and some GSP and some zoas. Anyone know what the name of these zoas are? I got well over 50 of them They have green skirts and dark blackish body with a green mouth. The picture captures them pretty accurately. 

The scape isn't finished. I just have it in the tank because I got it as live rock and didn't wanna leave it in a bucket. Will probably scape it better this weekend since I have other rocks now.

IMG_20200618_212611_22.thumb.jpg.78f4b7e879754733b7d219071e049486.jpg

IMG_20200618_213045_33.thumb.jpg.40009ed73bd35590f78a6faaba190e95.jpg

IMG_20200618_213053_96.thumb.jpg.f2bf634136366c6685b459085735ce92.jpg

• Like 2

Coinee

Bit of an update

I got some of the liverock in a bucket with some dry rock and ammonia to help cycle it. When I have everything cycled, I'll finish my scape. So far I'm really liking the AI Prime 16HD light, it's pretty solid. I have some gel filters coming in the mail so I should be able to take better pics soon. 

Now, I'm not sure what I want to stock in it. I know that I want a Fire Shrimp and maybe a porcelain crab. But I'm not too sure what I want beyond that. Any suggestions for fish? I'd prefer just one centrepiece fish that has a bit of personality since the tank is small.  I'd consider a clown but I have read too much about them not being as happy alone as they are in pairs. 

Fish:

???????????????????????????

Inverts:

Some snails for algae control

Fire Shrimp

Porcelain Crab

Leoito

Damn, the green of the GSP and zoas really pop underneath that Prime; interested in how others will look 😮

I can't say much about what would work from experience, but I was considering a tailspot blenny (apparently lots of personality) and a possum wrasse for my own ~12-13 gallon system. Possum wrasses are apparently on the shy side, so if one was the "centerpiece" with only smaller, passive fish to compliment it, it might be more visible. 

• Like 1

Coinee
9 hours ago, Leoito said:

Damn, the green of the GSP and zoas really pop underneath that Prime; interested in how others will look 😮

I can't say much about what would work from experience, but I was considering a tailspot blenny (apparently lots of personality) and a possum wrasse for my own ~12-13 gallon system. Possum wrasses are apparently on the shy side, so if one was the "centerpiece" with only smaller, passive fish to compliment it, it might be more visible. 

I still have to play with the spectrum of the light to see what works best for me. But the greens seem to pop the most with my current setting. Unfortunately, other colours seem to not look so nice, so I'll play with it over the next week or so. 

Fish

I'm not really a fan of the look of Blennys or Possum Wrasses in general. I wish I had have bought a bigger tank (don't we all?), so then I could get a Six Line Wrasse but we have to live with our decisions. I'm thinking about maybe a pair of clowns possibly and get a larger tank in the future if it's too small. If someone locally had a Mandarin Dragonet that ate frozen food, I'd grab that up quick. 

Or I could go with a sharknose goby or neon goby then  maybe a watchman goby with a pistol shrimp. No idea yet. I may just try clownfish because they always have personality 

Cycling

In the good news, the dry marco rock I started cycling in a bucket with a chunk of live rock seems to be going good.

On Sunday night I dosed 2 PPM of ammonia. I checked it each day and never detected any jump nitrites for some reason (I used two test kits). Then today I checked again and just have a very small trace amount of nitrites. But got a huge jump in nitrates and ammonia is down to 0.5 ppm. So in about 2.5 days that's pretty quick instead of waiting weeks for a full dry rock cycle without seeding anything. 

I don't like the liverock I got because it doesn't seem to have enough holes in it for plugs and it just generally doesn't look nice IMO. I have some more marco rock coming that I am going to cycle too. Then I can get everything set and done in the tank then start it for real. I'm going to break up the ugly liverock with a hammer and chuck what fits in the back of the filter where the heater is so i can still benefit from the bacteria in it. 

CUC

The good news is the tank is starting to get ugly with some algae on the glass, so it's entering the ugly stage so I will need to get a CUC soon. I will probably start off with a few Nerite and Cerith snails.  Maybe an Trochus and Nassarius as well. Don't think I'm going to get any hermits because I don't trust them. 

• Like 1

Coinee

Fish

So I have decided that I will go with one Clownfish right now then add a second later in the future.

Cycling

My rock is completely cycled. But I need to wait for the rest of my dry rock to arrive then cycle it. 

CUC

My tank will need a CUC soon because the diatoms are starting to grow on the glass a bit now. 

Current tank stock:

Corals

Finger leather frag

Toadstool frag (has been pissed off and is showing no polyps)

Hairy Mushroom

Orange and blue rhodactis

Few frags of mystery zoas (Green skirt, black/purple face and green mouth) Maybe Purple People Eaters?

Sunny D frag (???)

Eagle Eye frag

Rasta frag (only one polyp since the super glue ended up killing the other two polyps)

Blue hornet frag

GSP with white dot

GSP without white dot

I'm starting to feel a bit meh with the AI Prime right now. I still can't seem to find a colour that makes the corals pop like I want to. The $65 Asta Mini 20 I had a year and a half ago looked great and IMO better than the settings I have tried with my AI Prime so far. My zoas just look really drab and dull so far, kind of disappointing.

Edit: I think I found a better setting on my light for zoas. We shall see!

• Like 1

Coinee

Some good news and some bad news. So when I got my aquarium, the elbow connector for the return nozzle had a crack in it and water sprayed out of it, I contacted them to get a replacement part. They shipped a replacement about 17 days ago but I still haven't received it and it seems Innovative Marine sent it the slowest way possible so it is will probably be even longer. I'm not too impressed with this considering this is my first experience with the company. Every other company I've experienced would send via UPS or FEDEX for something like this. My next tank may not be an IM because of this. 

Got my little orange filters today, things look good! For some reason the picture quality got downgraded a lot when I uploaded them here. Things are looking good. Unfortunately on the Rasta, it looks like the glue covered two polyps. 

20200626_210751-01.jpeg.34cd6c7de4d2caac3cd126575718d817.jpeg

20200626_210747.thumb.jpg.c605acca92c7336d229d1d9a484a2401.jpg

Coinee

So I found this guy in the aquarium last night which @Joevember identified as a bad guy in my thread here:

He was on a small piece of rock so I removed the rock when I was cleaning the aquarium today and I am going to probably soak it in some RO water or something then dry it out for a few weeks to make sure the worm doesn't survive. Hopefully the bastard is in still in the rock and dies. Gonna keep an eye out to make sure it's actually gone. I ordered a pair of long tweezers anyway so we can get it if it's still there at night when I see it.

20200629_002753.jpg.c60bf2c84196e6d745b7dc04ba0e0d60.jpg20200629_002804.thumb.jpg.52e8e18c063d42ecf1f442b95e69a663.jpg

I did a 50% waterchange today and scrubbed the algae off the glass. I also got some snails. An astraea snail and two nerite snails. I'll post a picture later when the sand settles since it is still cloudy. I should have some more stuff in my aquarium soon. Still waiting to for my new rock so I can cycle it and then build my final aquascape!

• Like 1

Joevember

Excited to see the scape. I've always been rearranging the rocks in my tanks, but I never seem to find the right feng shui. 

Hope you got the little bastard for good 😆

• Like 1

Coinee

So, Innovative Marine have still not replied to my e-mail asking what's going on with my replacement elbow return piece. This is a bit weird I have to say, I was expecting better customer service from a company that makes nice tanks. Well, if I don't get a response before the end of the week then it means my next tank will most likely not be an IM because if this is how things are when things go wrong, I can't trust that.

In the side of more bad news, I ordered some copepods the other day from a vendor and I received no shipping e-mails from them yet. I contacted them via their e-mail to see when they would ship but the e-mail bounced. I called them and it went straight to voicemail and the I left a message but got no response back yet. I won't name the vendor here since it has only been a couple days but if I don't hear anything from them by next week, I'll have to file a chargeback and then I'll name them here so people don't have to deal with that stuff.

On the positive side, I put an order in online for more coral. It ships out Thursday so I should have it Friday. Also I haven't seen that bad wormy guy since I took that piece of rock out. It hasn't crawled out of the rock so it must be hiding out inside but its been out of water for about a day now. 

• Sad 1

Coinee

I got some more corals. I got a decent sized Nephthea, couple mushroom corals, a scrambled eggs zoa frag, an acan frag, and pulsing xenia. I also got a cleaner shrimp! 

I got my new rock today. I'm going to try to build a scape tomorrow and epoxy it together then cycle all those rocks. Everything is great now. I'll take pics soon when I get things organized.

• Like 1

Joevember

Put up some pics when everything opens up! 😁

Has the pod vendor gotten back to you? Really sucks that their customer service is that bad.

Snow_Phoenix
On 6/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, Coinee said:

For some reason the picture quality got downgraded a lot when I uploaded them here. 

I noticed this as well. Pics uploaded to the site on my end are a bit duller and more blurry than the original photos. When viewed through my phone, it's not so noticeable, but when I view the same pic on my laptop, I can see the difference in quality. Not sure why. 🤷‍♀️

Coinee
1 hour ago, Joevember said:

Put up some pics when everything opens up! 😁

Has the pod vendor gotten back to you? Really sucks that their customer service is that bad.

Pod guy shipped! They should be here in a few days (probably monday). Still no response from Innovative Marine, unfortunately. No updates on my replacement elbow piece either from them.

1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I noticed this as well. Pics uploaded to the site on my end are a bit duller and more blurry than the original photos. When viewed through my phone, it's not so noticeable, but when I view the same pic on my laptop, I can see the difference in quality. Not sure why. 🤷‍♀️

I'm guessing the site resizes it and downgrades it to reduce the space. 

• Like 1

Snow_Phoenix
54 minutes ago, Coinee said:

I'm guessing the site resizes it and downgrades it to reduce the space. 

I'd assume so. 

Coinee

This is the current state of the tank. The settings I have for my AI Prime 16HD now make my colours pop a lot, it looks awesome. The camera doesn't show it so well, though. When I have my final scape done and the rock cycled, I'm going to slowly start a zoa garden. I want some of the other zoas to grow out more on their plugs first before I do that.  The cleaner shrimp gave me a huge confusion today. I saw two pairs of antennas sticking out from my rock and I thought "what, I only have one"  then i looked around the side of the tank to see a molt!

20200704_194725-01.jpeg.4139fe9d6ed2ff11d918509fc1ed792e.jpeg

20200704_194720-01.thumb.jpeg.42e2b5f10cc211a4707a3d5d6822a3a1.jpeg

Next update I should have:

1) A cleaner tank

2) An actual aquascape 

3) Some idea of how I want the tank to look

I'm not planning for any more coral until I have the scape and layout figured out now. I think when I do get more coral in the future, it'll probably be more zoas, some LPS and maybe another SPS. I'm planning to get a fish within the next few weeks, still to be decided but I have some ideas. I'm possibly going for something not so common.