SaltCritters.com

Candy cane coral care help

BLACKBear7777

BLACKBear7777

So I need some help to not make mistakes with my new candy cane frag. How do I take care of them and what should I feed them? I fed my old ones fish pellets and mysis but these don’t seem to want to eat. They’re in the process of splitting and when I just went to blow some sand off I think I may have damaged the tissues between the heads a little. I need to nnow what you guys recommend and how to keep these guys healthy and happy unlike my last set. 

also if you wouldn’t mind telling me if what I think is damage between the heads is something they’ll recover from? I’d appreciate it 

13D2ACBF-E003-4860-A0C1-E5BAC17459A5.jpeg

Cmharper50

I’ve had candy canes before and have had this happen, this from what I can see, is recoverable. Leaving the candy cane in a low flow area to heal and once the lights go out it should extend feeder tentacles or sweepers, I’d try feeding mysis but if you can I’d go with reefroids or another high quality food. But if the sweepers don’t come out don’t try to feed it. It will only create extra nutrients in your tank and if a coral is healing this won’t be a good thing. You can try dipping it as well in something like reef vive or any other coral dip. Hope this helps, good luck!

Cmharper50

It looks like something started eating it, what kind of fish and or inverts do you have, if any?

also what are your parameters like? 

BLACKBear7777

It was a electric blue hermit who now lives in the sump. They’re looking better and sending out feeders. I actually have a colony that got literally killed by a Fw dip that has grown back. If those can make it anything can.