twofishys

WTF is moving in on my Rasta?  HELP

twofishys

it does now brush off with a toothbrush.  My Rasta was multiplying at a steady rate and now i'm worried 😩

Joevember

Pic would help...

Elizabeth94

Is it actually physically moving? If not I would guess a sponge or some type of algae. Impossible to say without a photo. 

twofishys

twofishys

sorry about the late photo above.  any ideas??????

jcreefer

Those are bubble algae.  Means 1)not enough flow around the zoas and 2)you have elevated nutrient levels.  Have you tested phosphate and nitrate?

Jeff

twofishys

THANK YOU!!!!!! my po4 is low .02 just tested.  I can adjust the flow immediately but should I get NeoPhos to add?  

twofishys

water change right now?!?!?!?!

twofishys

oops .002 po4

Joevember

I've always manually removed bubble algae. If you can catch it early, like when it's on a single frag, it usually won't spread unless you pop a bubble. 

I take out the affected rock/frag and pick off the bubbles then rinse with saltwater. If you get it all, you will be fine.

twofishys

how would you recommend I manually remove it ? tweezers?

jcreefer

Tweezers would work, but they’re rather slippery, so have a net ready to catch any runaways.

Jeff

jservedio

For the smaller bubbles like that, your fingernail works really well. When they are clustered like yours are, they will come off mostly all together. You don't even have to take it out of the tank if you use your hand.

They are a pretty cool algae to have - each bubble is actually just a single cell - they are one of the largest single celled organisms in the world. They grow fairly slowly and are easy to manage compared to a lot of other types of algae.

andrewjardin

I usually let bubble algae grow, but only in an isolated area, because the emerald crab loves to snack on them!

• Like 1

twofishys

it did come off with a little more effort.  didnt look like bubbles but now my rasta is completely withdrawn.  in addition my neon green spirulina has stopped opening 😞  I tested and my phosphates are low.  any suggestions?  I will test again today for a more accurate reading