Cultivated Reef

Elizabeth94

Is it actually physically moving? If not I would guess a sponge or some type of algae. Impossible to say without a photo. 

Those are bubble algae.  Means 1)not enough flow around the zoas and 2)you have elevated nutrient levels.  Have you tested phosphate and nitrate?

Jeff

I've always manually removed bubble algae. If you can catch it early, like when it's on a single frag, it usually won't spread unless you pop a bubble. 

I take out the affected rock/frag and pick off the bubbles then rinse with saltwater. If you get it all, you will be fine.

For the smaller bubbles like that, your fingernail works really well. When they are clustered like yours are, they will come off mostly all together. You don't even have to take it out of the tank if you use your hand.

They are a pretty cool algae to have - each bubble is actually just a single cell - they are one of the largest single celled organisms in the world. They grow fairly slowly and are easy to manage compared to a lot of other types of algae.

• Like 1

it did come off with a little more effort.  didnt look like bubbles but now my rasta is completely withdrawn.  in addition my neon green spirulina has stopped opening 😞  I tested and my phosphates are low.  any suggestions?  I will test again today for a more accurate reading

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

0.02 ppm PO4 is too low BTW.  If nitrates have also bottomed out, that's probably (one reason) why your corals have slowed and "pest" algae have shown up.

Before you start dosing NeoPhos (as you suggested) consider if there's anything you're doing to "over-filter" the tank...and stop doing that.

How are you keeping the tank and water clean so far?