Coral Vue Hydros

What is this shrimp / isopod?

Percy Jackson

2 minutes ago, Percy Jackson said:

Found several of this guy in under the rocks, Search through several guides still couldn't ID it. Any idea? Is it harmful? 

UhxkpAx.jpg

Amphipod. 

Yep, amphipod. Generally considered to be harmless, even beneficial, as they're detritivores and make good fish food. If they're in a tank with no fish, they can overpopulate and start pestering and even chewing on your corals, but they don't usually do that if you have fish. 

Anecdote for anecdote…

My system was fishless for about the first 10 years. I had tons of amphipods (as well as copepods and mysids) and tons of coral – and no problems. The corals were mostly stony, but also a fair amount of mushrooms and (originally) some zoanthids.

i’m definitely not going to take the time to run this down, but my suspicion is that tanks that have had so-called problems with them have other problems and the corals were probably tweaked.

I’m not going to spend any effort trying to convince anybody of that either though. 😏

• Like 3