Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fast worms in tank

BLACKBear7777

BLACKBear7777

hey guys. A few days ago when feeding my candy cane coral and small worm, least I think it was a worm I didn’t get a good look because it was so fast, stold a piece of food off the coral and disappeared back into a hole. It was very fast. Faster than I’ve seen a bristle worm move. I Fw dipped the rock and the coral because I was afraid of bobbits. I saw many bristle worms and pods come out of the rock dead. I didn’t see whatever ate the food assuming it was a worm. I have previously seen small white worms try to take pellets from the coral but they didn’t move that fast when I watched. Should I be worried about bobbits? I have had the rock for 7+ years. I just changed my tabk to a biocube 32 Gal led. Didn’t add any more rock and only recent addition was the candy cane, a drag with two heads cut directly from the mother coral not on a coral plug. Should I be scared of bobbits? Rock and Cora is below. Coral total size is about the diameter of a quarter. Rock is maybe baseball size

99353454-F004-463E-B69F-CDC726BE7AAD.jpeg

Edited by Cladius_galen
Added info

If nothing in there has attacked your fish or corals in the past 7 years, nothing wants to attack your fish or corals. You may have seen one of the many harmless eunicid worms, a particularly fast bristleworm, or something else entirely. 

Bobbit worms, true bobbits that will actually attack your fish, are very rare. If you had somehow gotten one, it would be very large and causing a lot of trouble by now. Since you don't seem to have a very large, trouble-causing worm, you don't have a bobbit.

BLACKBear7777

It was pointed out to me by another user is was most likely a syllid worm that hitchhiked in on my old candy canes. I’ve since glued it’s hole shut and Fw dipped the rock.