SaltCritters.com

Refractometer Calibration

BakeTownFF

BakeTownFF

Hey all, 

New nano-reefer here.  Not sure if this goes here or in "equipment".  However, I think I'm noticing ambient air temperature affecting the calibration in my refractometer...I don't see any clear answers on this when google searching.  I've found answers regarding temperature of the water tested, but not the air.  I've noticed it's a few points off this week when calibrating out of curiosity.  We've had a weird week weather wise with day time highs ranging from 69F to 102F.  Our inside temperature fluctuates between 65-75 night to day or depending on the high outside obviously.  Is that enough to cause calibration to be a few points off?  Once calibrated it reads the same as it did the previous test and my water levels haven't changed so I'm confident that part is accurate.

Thanks!

On 6/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, BakeTownFF said:

I think I'm noticing ambient air temperature affecting the calibration in my refractometer

The question is whether your refractometer has "automatic temperature compensation", or ATC for short.  It's a common feature, but not quite universal.

Without ATC, temperature can definitely impact your readings.

If you bought the cheapest unit you could find, it could be a non-ATC type.

I think if you look through your unit at the optical scale, it MAY tell you which it is.  

Mine, sourced many years ago from Marine Depot IIRC, has "ATC" up there on the top.

Not all will be explicit though....read the manual or call the manufacturer to be sure.

image.png

• Like 1
BakeTownFF
17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

The question is whether your refractometer has "automatic temperature compensation", or ATC for short.  It's a common feature, but not quite universal.

Without ATC, temperature can definitely impact your readings.

If you bought the cheapest unit you could find, it could be a non-ATC type.

I think if you look through your unit at the optical scale, it MAY tell you which it is.  

Mine, sourced many years ago from Marine Depot IIRC, has "ATC" up there on the top.

Not all will be explicit though....read the manual or call the manufacturer to be sure.

image.png

The manual with it says to calibrate with distilled water and it is ATC.  I calibrate with distilled water equal temperature to the tank anyway, I'll have to keep temperature logs of the ambient room temp when taking readings now.

• Like 1