Coral Vue Hydros

How much can i increase alk in fresh mix before introduced.

risk1994

About to add 7 gallon sump to my 10 gallon reef. My salt mix gets me to alk of 7 but my tank is 10.  I need to get this added but thats too much of a delta...is there any issue raising 3dkh in 1 day before adding to tank?

Seems like a dumb question to me but i had a TON of precipitate when i tried this once before and tried to raise too quick.  Water got really cloudy and seemed to stay that way.

Elizabeth94

Its best to find a salt that mixes to your target parameters. It helps with stability.

However, there was a point where I was transitioning my tank from 9dkh to 7dkh (which my new salt mixes to). I added esv buffers so I can make slow changes from 9 to 7.  I didn’t have any precipitation when adding it to freshly mixed water. But maybe I was lucky. 

I agree with the concern above....why is there such a disparity between the salt and your tank?  They should be more or less the same.

If you want dKH of around 10, consider switching to Instant Ocean or something else that mixes up to a similar alk level.

Otherwise, let the tank come down to 7.   Adding a sump full of 7dKH water would be a fine way to start doing that, if that's the way you decide to go....shouldn't hurt anything IMO.  (List out your corals if you're still concerned.)

👍