inTank Media Baskets

How to reduce calcium, magnesium and dkh

Abzdot

Elizabeth94

Agree with above. Salt choice plays the largest part in your parameters. I would recommend doing some research on salt to see what mixes at the alk you want. If you use something with a higher alk then water changes won’t help. 

Im using Tropic Marine Pro, mixes around 7dkh. If thats too low, I recommend HWMarineMix Reefer salt from BRS. Mixes 9dkh. Both of these salts mix super clear for me. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Agree with above. Salt choice plays the largest part in your parameters. I would recommend doing some research on salt to see what mixes at the alk you want. If you use something with a higher alk then water changes won’t help. 

Im using Tropic Marine Pro, mixes around 7dkh. If thats too low, I recommend HWMarineMix Reefer salt from BRS. Mixes 9dkh. Both of these salts mix super clear for me. 

36 minutes ago, MrP said:

Small frequent water changes using a salt mix that has lower parameters. If you have coral, be sure to make these changes slowly.

I use Red Sea coral pro salt which I’m beginning to regret getting now! My dkh is also at 12.8! I am looking to get some buffers/reducers to get this down

Elizabeth94
2 minutes ago, Abzdot said:

I use Red Sea coral pro salt which I’m beginning to regret getting now! My dkh is also at 12.8! I am looking to get some buffers/reducers to get this down

For my tank that is super high, but I am sure there are reefers who have success that high. Most important thing is stability. However I saw some people claiming a lower alk closest to natural sea water brings out brighter colors in acros. I have no idea how legitimate that is. 

• Like 1

Waterchanges with a salt mix that has parameters you want.

This is the least dangerous method.

Using buffers will require a lot of knowledge on the chemistry you are dealing with and would be needed with every waterchange you do as long as you use a salt with such high parameters

• Like 1
On 6/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, Abzdot said:

Hi, my calcium is over 500, mag over 1500 and dkh very high. How do I reduce them in an affordable way.

thanks

Grow stony corals. They will use up ca, mg and alk for their skeletons.  Can't say I'd recommend anything else at this point.  👍

Can you put a number to "very high" for me?

I don't see a problem with the Ca or Mg numbers....high isn't a problem.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

I have no idea how legitimate that is. 

Not.  👍