SaltCritters.com

RFA Spawning, or dying? Help!

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

Hey guys,

About 15 minutes ago, I watched my RFA start to kinda pull in its' tentacles before spewing some white stuff into the tank. It's been doing so since - is this an anemone spawning, or is it just dying? At this point, the whole tank is kinda milky.

This tank was rebooted not long ago, so most of the livestock has been recovering - although, this particular RFA has seemed fine to me. I did a 10% WC yesterday. The RFA's tentacles are still pretty sticky. I'm also feeding the clowns some metroplex-soaked food, bound with focus, but just in small amounts with the pumps turned off to avoid any getting into the nems.

Oh, and I'm running no skimmer. So, if this IS spawning, how do I go about removing all the crap from my tank? I know it's good coral food, but like... won't that cause issues in a 10 gallon?

Chriss Fishes
1 hour ago, baronen said:

I don’t think it’s dying it looks happy

I mean, the color is fine, but the RFA is definitely shrunken and not acting normally.

I went ahead and did a 2 gallon WC. Tank went from almost opaque to being able to see outlines of corals. Still no bad reactions from the corals, inverts, or fish though.

I'll do another 2-3 gallon WC tomorrow (if I can find any distilled water) and will test my water.

Fryguy0201

id test your water first before another water change and add some carbon source (if you don't already). idk to much about rfa but its definitely not dying if its still holding on... and whatever it was probably won't effect other corals too much. 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

So, I tested my water, and have basically 0 nitrates. I did have an algae bloom, and some of the corals are kinda PO'd, so I hope that'll go away with time, carbon, and water changes.

NoOneLikesADryTang

Looks like it was spawning to me. If you go look at the last post on my build thread, I have a video of one of mine spawning last night... You could see if it looked like yours. 

• Thanks 1
Chriss Fishes

Looked exactly like that. Thanks!

Is it known what causes an RFA to spawn? Is it a stress response? Something that they do when happy? Does Marvin Gaye have to be playing in the room? Etc.

• Haha 2