Coral Vue Hydros

Is this enough flow for a mixed LPS/SPS tank?

bfruacikned

bfruacikned

28g Nano, uses two stock pumps on a wavemaker, 250ish GPH each, only one is on at a time.

1 Hydor Koralia 260 GPH on 24/7

1 Hydor Koralia Nano 500ish GPH on 24/7

I have the two koralias at the back, the smaller pointed down at the opposite back corner, then the other more powerful koralia in the back pointed along the top to the middle of the opposite wall, then each of the recirculating pumps go straight out from the back wall. the tank is cycling, I threw a mysis cube in to see how flow looks.

Does this look like enough flow? On paper it's 1000 GPH for a 28g tank. I'd like to put a few SPS along the top ridge where the most flow is and then use the lower flow parts for SPS. If necessary i could stal the smaller koralia for a QT tank and put another nano in this one that would bump it to closer to 50x gallons in flow. Should I ditch the wavemaker and just have all pumps on 24/7? Any input is welcome!

In an empty tank it looks fine but until corals are in there, you won't know 100%.

I've struggled with flow the most in my tank because the lps don't like a lot of flow but my sps do.

It takes some playing with once you get corals in there.

Is it an aio? Is the 1000gph just powerheads or including return pump/filter

• Like 2
bfruacikned
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

In an empty tank it looks fine but until corals are in there, you won't know 100%.

I've struggled with flow the most in my tank because the lps don't like a lot of flow but my sps do.

It takes some playing with once you get corals in there.

Is it an aio? Is the 1000gph just powerheads or including return pump/filter

Hey Clown thanks for the response!

It's a JBJ 28g nano AIO, so the return pumps also add some flow as they return from the sump. the wavemaker 250's are the return pumps that alternate on the wavemaker. the 1000 gph includes 250 from the return pumps because only 1 is on at a time. if I ditch the wavemaker it'd be 1250

16 minutes ago, bfruacikned said:

It's a JBJ 28g nano AIO, so the return pumps also add some flow as they return from the sump. the wavemaker 250's are the return pumps that alternate on the wavemaker. the 1000 gph includes 250 from the return pumps because only 1 is on at a time. if I ditch the wavemaker it'd be 1250

You may have to play with it a bit when you get corals in there.

Each tank is different and aquascape also effects the flow.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2020 at 1:19 PM, bfruacikned said:

I'd probably not count the flow from the filtration system unless it's making a really significant contribution that you can see even when the other pumps are off.  My guess is that it doesn't do much on its own, but you tell me.

That said, it's kinda what Clown79 said....you need to have some corals in the tank before you can really dial anything in flow-wise.  You have no targets and no obstructions....generally, corals are both and will change flow significantly.

By the numbers I think you have a decent setup to start with.  Just keep in mind that those pumps (and most pumps like them) are VERY soft....that is there are lots of GPH but very low velocity.  That means the flow is limited in the amount of work it can do....such as lifting food off the sand bed or keeping detritus suspended for corals or a filter to eat.  If you end up feeling the need to add or switch pumps, other pumps, such as most of the models in Tunze's Nanostream lineup, will offer flow with more "punch" per GPH.

• Like 2