Pod Your Reef

Yellow Zoanthids

Pjanssen

Why have my yellow King Midas and LA Lakers zoanthids turned green? I don't think its light spectrum, I've tried so many combos. The burning banana is still yellow. Do they like a particular alkalinity? Drives me crazy, I spent a bit of money to have yellow corals, I don't need anymore green corals.

• Sad 4
2 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Not exactly sure if the same applies to zoas, but with SPS it's usually the result of higher nutrients.

I just tested everything

Nitrates 0.5, which is probably too low rather than too high but IDK.

Phosphates 0.03. Maybe leaning up towards the 0.05 color but not quite there.

Both of these test kits expired a little over a month ago so maybe not accurate, but I would hope there is a little leeway.

Alk 7.7

Ca 160

Sounds like high nutrients aren't the issue.  You mentioned you've tried light spectrums, is it possibly an intensity issue?  How long did they stay yellow...or did they turn green shortly after being added to the tank.

Ca is 460?

Sounds good.  460 is fine for calc.  The original post said 160...just confirming it was 460🙂

Have you tried increasing lighting intensity at all?  Just speaking from the SPS side of the house.  Increased intensity normally brings out the "proper" or more pronounced colors.

The other thing I can think of is iron.  Are you dosing that by any chance?  Iron can bring out the green colors as well.

Recommend increasing your intensity slowly and seeing if that helps.

• Thanks 1

With Alk around 7.7, I usually keep the Ca around 440. Not sure how I hit a 1 instead of a 4 in the original post 🤦‍♀️.

I was planning to increase lighting today, but then I went and rearranged some stuff and moved some Monti's up, so I figured I should wait for them to acclimate at the higher level before amping up the light intensity. I'll up it in a week and post any changes on my thread.

I don't dose iron, just 2part alk/ca, and VitaChem which does not have Iron in it.

• Like 2