Pod Your Reef

BTA just arrived from online company - help!

Reeferrob95

Reeferrob95

Hi all,

I just received my BTA this morning which I ordered online, this is my first one however from my research before buying this really doesn't look healthy to me. The main thing that stood out is that the foot seems to be torn and the mouth is gaping open. 

Please can someone advise if this is normal for delivery? I don't want to risk putting in the tank if it's dead/going to die. 

I was concerned when the box arrived only marked as fragile, no mention of live animals at all...

Any input is much appreciated!

nem 1.jpg

nem 2.jpg

nem 3.jpg

nem 4.jpg

MainelyReefer

Put that sucker in the tank, of course it looks pissed it was just shipped!  The longer you wait to put it in the tank the less likely it will be ok.  Don’t get any of the shipping water in the tank it’s probably nasty.  Nothing likes being face down in a plastic bag filled with a pool of their own waste.

• Like 1
Reeferrob95
33 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Put that sucker in the tank, of course it looks pissed it was just shipped!  The longer you wait to put it in the tank the less likely it will be ok.  Don’t get any of the shipping water in the tank it’s probably nasty.  Nothing likes being face down in a plastic bag filled with a pool of their own waste.

Thanks for your response, that is very true! this is my first one so just want to make sure all is ok, I have finished acclimating and placed in the tank, the mouth is pretty open but the colour on the tentacles is there. 

nem 6.jpg

Doesn't look good, gaping open like that. Has it gotten better? 

Boxes are often just marked "fragile", because "live animals" won't necessarily get it treated any more carefully. Hell, get a frustrated enough employee, and "fragile" can mean "throw this onto your truck extra hard". 

• Like 1
Reeferrob95

Well the past 24 hours have been eventful to say the least. I had a nightmare trying to keep this anemone in one spot, it was HUGE! it kept moving all around the tank and I had to move rocks/powerheads to try and keep it safe. I called my LFS this morning to see if they could house this for me as it just wasn't right trying to keep it in my tank and it looked really stressed. 

When I arrived they identified it as a Ritteri anemone, not a bubble tip. It became clear that the online retailer had sent me a product just to keep the sale as I had called them after 4 weeks of ordering to ask for a refund as my local store had opened back up to be told "oh, its actually just come in today, i'll send it out first thing next week"

I am absolutely gobsmacked that they would do this and try and pull the wool over my eyes, I was confused as this anemone was so different to all of the research I had done prior to ordering.

Its even worse as on the day of delivery I sent an email with the above pictures concerned for the anemones health. The guy on the phone said wait 24 hours and if it isn't better then send me a picture of it cut down the middle and I will refund you.. appaling!

I now have a proper BTA from my LFS which is much more in line with my expectations and has settled in nicely.  

BTA.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, if it isn't better in 24 hours, it's dying or dead. May as well get your refund. 

Your real BTA is a nice-looking one. Hope it does well for you.

Reeferrob95
32 minutes ago, Tired said:

Honestly, if it isn't better in 24 hours, it's dying or dead. May as well get your refund. 

Your real BTA is a nice-looking one. Hope it does well for you.

I guess that's right however its the dishonesty that really gets me. Thanks, this one is much better sized!

The new one looks nice! I only order from well known online venders if I don't use the LFS. They should refund you for sending the wrong nem... Maybe they don't even know they did...ha.

dnadrifter

Ritteris are the magnifica anemones that clowns natively host correct?  Aren't they pretty expensive and also harder to get settled in and cared for?